Huskemaw Scopes, My First

Long Time Long Ranger

Jim Sessions introduced me to the Huskemaw line of riflescopes last year at the shot show. I was very impressed with the overall quality of these scopes. The easy turret and reticle system for elevation and windage was something I just had to try. So I finally bit the bullet on a Huskemaw 3-12 LR with the 30 mm tube and 42 mm objective. Over the last couple of weeks I have put it to the test.

Last week I had several rifles on the range with several different scopes so I thought it would be a good time for comparison. It was a mid 90 degree day and by mid day the mirage was heating up pretty good. I had scopes from Nightforce, Swarovski, Burris, Leupold, Nikon and the Huskemaw. I looked through all the scopes from daybreak until mid-day shooting out to 1100 yards. The clear winners were the Swarovski and the Huskemaw at holding on small targets at 1100 yards with dim light and mid day mirage. All the others were about the same with much more trouble seeing small targets in mirage and low light.

I got the Huskemaw for the turret and windage system and it was a pleasant surprise to find the glass in these scopes are right at the European glass. When you try to hold on small targets at long range good glass becomes very evident and a must. I knew at the shot show it had good glass but indoors it is hard to make a determination exactly how good. It is also very light weight which is a big plus to me since I am always hiking all day and backpacking. I put it on my favorite 300 RUM for testing.

With the 3-12 set on 12 power I could easily shoot a 4" bullseye at 1100 yards with mid day mirage. That says an awful lot about a scope. I spent two weeks shooting this scope on a 300 RUM setting drops and the tracking held true through quite a bit of shooting. Saturday I went back out to 1100 yards and set the turret for 1100 and put five shots into 8.8" around the four inch bullseye. During the week I would test it at various ranges out in the desert by just stopping, ranging and shooting simulating a hunting situation. I turned the dial to the range and always hit right on.

I love the windage bars on the reticle every one MOA. It made holding for windage very easy. Field of view is very critical to me in a hunting scope. Much of my hunting is in grizzly country and hunting deer and elk in the big timber so fov is critical. This scope has 38 feet fov at 100 yards which is exceptional for a 12 power scope. Having the ability to get on a 4" dot in mirage at 1100 yards plus the high fov along with the elevation turret readings and windage capability makes this the best all around hunting scope I have ever used. I couldn't be more pleased right now with this scope.

Thanks LTLR, I realize you did not test the older models but I would love for someone who knows to chime in and explain the difference between the Blue Diamond series and the original. Other than a price increase I've never figured out what else changed and how much of an actual improvement the new series is???
It's great to hear it is such a quality scope!

thanks for the review. It's funny, for me, the blue turret, which is something of a hallmark of theirs, is a turn off for me. Otherwise I'd really be looking at these scopes very hard

Thanks LTLR, I realize you did not test the older models but I would love for someone who knows to chime in and explain the difference between the Blue Diamond series and the original. Other than a price increase I've never figured out what else changed and how much of an actual improvement the new series is???
It's great to hear it is such a quality scope!

The Blue Diamond series is a huge upgrade in my opinion. If memory serves me correctly, they upgraded the lenses and cemented them in on the Blue Diamond.

I've shot 2 rifles with the original Huskemaws and 2 with the Blue Diamonds. The Blue Diamonds have a much sharper image and a more forgiving eyebox and are worth the extra money. I wouldn't own a standard Huskemaw unless I got a screaming deal on it, but I would probably pay full price for the Blue Diamond.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. They seem like great scopes for a decent price (though I really liked the original price). I too dislike the blue turret but other than that I would like to own one!

You can specify black for your turret color.

We were the first ever Huskemaw dealer several years ago. I have used mine for 3 hunting seasons.

I have not seen or shot the older ones but I can tell you this Blue Diamond is worth every penny compared to what scopes sell for these days. This is a very nice scope at the top of quality glass.

Len, do you still use yours???
I have also looked at this and I am about ready to take the plunge.
I like the smaller power in the twelve.

Randy

You can specify black for your turret color.

We were the first ever Huskemaw dealer several years ago. I have used mine for 3 hunting seasons.

Thanks Len, that makes a difference for me. I love the idea behind the design even though I've always been skeptical of BDC out past 700-800yds. I understand you can have multiple turrets and how easy it is to re-zero while checking the rifle on location prior to the hunt. Honestly I'm just too critical sometimes. I just need to shut up and praise this scope for how great it is! Thanks for all the great info guys!

Do you know why it's such a great scope? It's easy do you know manufactures huskemuaw scopes?

Shhhhhhhhh.......... Don't tell anyone it's Night Force

Do you know why it's such a great scope? It's easy do you know manufactures huskemuaw scopes?

really? Huh....this makes things harder, since the scope I'm saving for is a NF, and if they Make Huskemaw, that becomes a serious contender at a lower price

NF and Huskemaw are made in the same factory. NF does not make Huskemaw.

Incidentally, I just bought 2 NXS 5.5x22x56 zero stop quarter min MOAR badboys from a fellow member who is a dealer.

They SHOULD have shipped today. Hopefully so.

Len, do you still use yours???
I have developed a further weakening of my eyes as it relates to the ability to focus any reticle. Not so much of a problem with the target, though. Since 20 years ago I have had trouble focusing many of the common scopes' reticles. I even remember Leupold many years ago being nice enough to modify one of theirs to work for right eye.

Up until recently the Huskemaw reticle focused quite well for me but that has been changing over the last 6 months. As a result I am now using a NF which seems to be better for my reticle focusing issue.

I have used NF for 10 years and Huskemaw for 3. If I ever resolve my reticle issue I'll probably use a Huskemaw again.

I have an eye doctor appointment again in 2 weeks. We'll see.

It's easy do you know manufactures huskemuaw scopes?

NF does not make Huskemaw.

But the same company that makes the lenses and erector tubes for NF makes everything for Huskemaw.

I've always been skeptical of BDC out past 700-800yds.

You don't have to use a custom yardage turret with a Huskemaw scope. I haven't been lately. I am using the G7 BR2 rangefinder and so far had been using an moa turret.

But if you did choose to use one, you can just carry a cheat sheet for making small air density adjustments.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.