My First Cougar

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Shawn Carlock, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Shawn Carlock

Shawn Carlock Sponsor

I'd love to tell you guys it was expertise in tracking, stalking and/or a killer long range shot that bagged this kitty, however in the end it was mostly luck. My dad and I were long range testing the +P out in the national forest and were driving back when we spotted the tom at about 300 yards from the truck. We stopped, wrestled the +P from the hard case in the back of the truck, got ammo form the extra cab, got a rest and shot it. It is the only cougar I have seen in the daylight that wasn't up a tree with dogs, so that was pretty cool after all the hours I have spent in the woods.

[​IMG]

My decision to pack it down and out the bottom of the canyon, instead of back up to the truck might not have been the wisest as it turned out to be a little over a mile to truck access. I am fairly confident that this is the first 338 Edge +P cougar kill though.:)

[​IMG]

2. johnnyk

johnnyk Well-Known Member

Congratulations Shawn. I like anybody that shoots cats! JohnnyK.

3. gcamp54

gcamp54 Well-Known Member

Congrats Shawn. Interesting that is stayed put while you were gathering your gear.

4. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

That is pretty cool. Did you buy a lottery ticket on the way home? Very nice looking cat, so what did he weigh? Looks to be about 140 ish?

Congrats

Jeff

5. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Nice cat. Congrats!

6. jmden

jmden Well-Known Member

Cool, Shawn. Thanks for sharing the pix and story. Always fun to see and read.

7. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

WTG ... congrats on a fine harvest!

8. midwesthunter

midwesthunter Well-Known Member

Awsome, they are on my list to hunt in the future for sure. Congrats

9. SBruce

SBruce Well-Known Member

Many Congratulations Shawn,

That is super cool. I've never got a lion, seen a few at night, but never seen one during daylight.

Nice Job:D

10. Shawn Carlock

Shawn Carlock Sponsor

Thanks guys, it did weight 125-130 I guess seemed alot heavier by the time I got it too the truck. We talked about the lottery ticket on the way home but figured I had used up all of my good luck for the year.

11. midnightmalloy

midnightmalloy Well-Known Member

Where abouts was this? Not a gps location or anything just interested in the region.

12. Shawn Carlock

Shawn Carlock Sponsor

North Idaho near Couer D' Alene.

13. Capt Academy

Capt Academy Well-Known Member

Nice cat Shawn!

14. peashooter

peashooter Well-Known Member

Beautiful animals aren't they? I know cattlemen hate them as I am told to shoot ,shovel ,and shut up with any cats we encounter. Good story. Hunting is so many times taking advantage of the opportunity presented. Good job Shawn.