hunting rifle recommendations needed

dzander

So i went on a hunt in Montana for mule and white tail.
I have a Savage Model 10 .308 heavy barrel rifle with a Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist Style 2-2999 Savage 10-16 Short Action-30. Probably walked 25 miles or so over 5 days. This gun is a little heavy. Has DNZ ring base and a Zeiss 5x25x50 1" tube and a Harris bipod.
I want to go back next year with a lighter rifle.
Seeing i'm hunting deer and maybe antelope if I get a tag what would you recommend?
I was thinking of a 6.5mm something. I can move the Zeiss to the new rifle or get something different. The Savage .308 shoots great out to 600 yards with little problem when i have time and dial the scope for the drop. Realisticly i would probably shoot this light gun out to 450 yards max. Budget $1000 for rifle less scope.
There is Savage pro hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor with a 3x9 Nikon for $400 right now at a local shop.
Seems ridiculous cheap.

Another option would be to re stock and re barrel the model 10 i have now.

What do you all think?

Thanks

Dave

So i went on a hunt in Montana for mule and white tail.
I have a Savage Model 10 .308 heavy barrel rifle with a Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist Style 2-2999 Savage 10-16 Short Action-30. Probably walked 25 miles or so over 5 days. This gun is a little heavy. Has DNZ ring base and a Zeiss 5x25x50 1" tube and a Harris bipod.
I want to go back next year with a lighter rifle.
Seeing i'm hunting deer and maybe antelope if I get a tag what would you recommend?
I was thinking of a 6.5mm something. I can move the Zeiss to the new rifle or get something different. The Savage .308 shoots great out to 600 yards with little problem when i have time and dial the scope for the drop. Realisticly i would probably shoot this light gun out to 450 yards max. Budget $1000 for rifle less scope.
There is Savage pro hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor with a 3x9 Nikon for $400 right now at a local shop.
Seems ridiculous cheap.

Another option would be to re stock and re barrel the model 10 i have now.

What do you all think?

Thanks

Dave
That Savage is under factory recall, I work for Savage, please PM me the name and phone number of the shop that has it. We need to get it off the market quickly, those guns can explode. Thank you for your help.

Bought the Savage Model 11XP Hunter with Nikon 3x9 BDC scope 6.5 creedmoor.
$399. Also bought some Horaday brass, 140 VLD hunting bullets, H4350, and a Hornaday Die set. Guess Lapua doesn't make brass for the creedmoor.
Let the fun Begin!!
May change out the scope for something with a little more magnification and use the Nikon on a AR15.

You don't need to spend $3000.00 to buy a hunting rifle, your shooting at a kill zone that's in size from a basketball to a beach ball, most if not all modern bolt rifles, even the junk produced by some today will easily handle that !

Browning X-bolt stainless stalker is in that price range. Good out of the box gun. I have one in 25-06. I think 7mm-08 would also work well. The new Hells Canyon Speed also looks very interesting.

I recommend a Ruger American for a budget.
(I have the heavier barreled Predator version in 6.5 Creedmoor)

This rifle has the following:
1. cold hammer forged barrel
2. 3 lug bolt (faster cycling, lower lift to clear scopes)
3. V bedding blocks/action bolt pillars
4. light plastic stock
5. adjustable trigger
6. magazine fed
7. tang safety

It's a very accurate rifle. Guys with this rifle on the "6.5 Creedmoor Forum" also report great accuracy from this rifle. Savage budget rifles seems hit-or-miss with accuracy. Usually "hit" but often miss. Evidently Ruger has figured out how to mage a good barrel for their budget rifles. I regularly get 3/4" groups at 100 yards with Hornady Precision Hunter factory ammo.

In fact I was so impressed with the Predator that I bought a Ruger Precision Rifle for competition. It shoots 1/2" groups with match ammo. Same kind of cold hammer forged barrel.

But hey, I also own a .300 Win mag Browning A-Bolt (3 lug bolt as well) and the similar but less expensive X-Bolt is also a good choice.

Eric B.

Well I go the Savage Mod 11.
Have to load up some rounds and see what it does.
I've never had a rifle shoot 1/2" groups without being bedded. I'll shoot it as out of the box, then bed it and repeat.

Savage 10/110 Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Stock with absolutely no aftermarket parts are work done or installed.

f40a7d4ab64496d69a0613914585fb0d_zpsb1e3f1d4.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.