Need a new rifle -- Recommendations!

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Brydawg512, Apr 20, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. jridgestalker

jridgestalker Member

I'd like to have gone with the 7mag also. But as I said, copper bullet selection is better. 2 of my hunting partners shoot a 300, only one shoots a 7mag

2. CAMPMEAT

CAMPMEAT Well-Known Member

I knew what ya meant...........I'm married and can figure out code talk.

3. Sal Behbehani

Sal Behbehani New Member

Christensen- Precision high quality starts $1000 Guarantee! 1 MOA-- great specs and higher end rifles guarantee!! less than 1/2 MOA. For the money Savage 10... or 11... makes great priced long range rifle in the price range.
    6.5-300 can get you 1200 ft-Lbs at 1200 yards!!
    6.5-284 is next one to consider
    I like my savage 300 win Mag for the money. Hornady 212 .308 gets me 1200 ft-Lbs at 800 yards with BC of ~.63 eldx. Berger has a 210 gr with BC of .69.

Let me know what you choose at first.
    Come back after year and let me know what you think of your choice so I can learn from it.

4. jridgestalker

jridgestalker Member

The 6.5-300 looks awesome, I am a 6.5 fan myself. I shoot a .260 Remington and love it, but the bullet selection for copper is limited.

I shoot a 120 gr copper it loves, but the 140's take up too much case space.

5. HuntJunky

HuntJunky Member

Look at Bergara

Hardshot likes this.
  6. westexhunt

westexhunt Member

i bought a Browning X bolt hells canyon long range in 7mag. Had my gunsmith do the trigger. It is without a doubt the best factory rifle I have ever owned. 1/2moa, light recoil and light for what it is.

257Tony likes this.
  7. TX Badger

TX Badger Well-Known Member

I've got a savage long range hunter (with the old stock, the new improved one looks even better) in 7RM and it shoots 1/2 moa out to 700yds. That's a little over your price range but savages shoot.

The other option to stay on budget if you have the time and like to tinker, is find a savage with enough miles on it to get the price down, then go to Northland Shooters Supply, and order a trued barrel nut and a custom prefit barrel from shilen or criterion. Then you can get a little faster twist to shoot the heavy, high bc bullets. You can do this install yourself and to keep the cost down, it's pretty easy. You also get about the best factory trigger on the market which saves some cash.

8. Brydawg512

Brydawg512 Well-Known Member

Well, here's my question... what the heaviest bullet weight I can stabilize with a 9.25 twist? This is in reference to the Remington 700 Long Range. Also, what should I expect to change, other than the trigger? Will the stock form of this rifle allow 500yds for time being? What problems do people have with the 700s?

9. jridgestalker

jridgestalker Member

If you wanna go that route....try buying a barreled action, and picking a stock.

Like I said...I went with howa because of the reputation and quality. Very decent feeling 2 stage trigger too

CAMPMEAT likes this.
  10. Brydawg512

Where do you buy just the barreled action? It looks like it comes with a Bell and Carlson stock already

11. CAMPMEAT

Where do you live ?

12. Brydawg512

WA, Ellensburg area

13. CAMPMEAT

I'm a old Curlew guy. The reason I asked is, if you go to spokaneguntrader.com. You might find a barreled action, maybe.

On a side note, we used to hunt elk in Joe Watt, Robinson Canyon all the time many years ago..

IMG_0002.jpg

Brydawg512 likes this.
  14. jridgestalker

jridgestalker Member

Brownells sells them

Mine is a full rifle from legacy. I couldnt get it cheaper than 910 before taxes....even if I bought the stock and barreled action seperate