New Rifle Recommendations

Brydawg512

Hello all,

Looking for a new factory rifle, under $850 or so. This will be used primarily for hunting out to 500 yards (possibly 600) however, shooting past this distance for fun would be a plus.

I would like a 300 Win Mag, but am open to caliber recommendations. I hunt black bear, mule deer, and elk.

Thank you all in advance! Merry Christmas!

Hello all,

Looking for a new factory rifle, under $850 or so. This will be used primarily for hunting out to 500 yards (possibly 600) however, shooting past this distance for fun would be a plus.

I would like a 300 Win Mag, but am open to caliber recommendations. I hunt black bear, mule deer, and elk.

Dig around on the net for a Model 70 Classic Stainless in .300wm and you'll never regret it.

The all weather honestly is a bit light and comes at a steep price, closer to 1,100.00 and honestly is not up to the same quality, it's just prettier.

You could probably find a used Sendero in .300wm for around 900.00 if you prefer the 700 and don't mind toting the extra weight.

I've taken 35 species of game with the NOS Model 70 Classic Stainless 300wm I bought in 2013 almost exclusively all one shot kills.

It's probably my fourth or fifth favorite rifle being a hardcore 7mm STW and .300 RUM shooter.

Dig around on the net for a Model 70 Classic Stainless in .300wm and you'll never regret it.

The all weather honestly is a bit light and comes at a steep price, closer to 1,100.00 and honestly is not up to the same quality, it's just prettier.

You could probably find a used Sendero in .300wm for around 900.00 if you prefer the 700 and don't mind toting the extra weight.

I've taken 35 species of game with the NOS Model 70 Classic Stainless 300wm I bought in 2013 almost exclusively all one shot kills.

It's probably my fourth or fifth favorite rifle being a hardcore 7mm STW and .300 RUM shooter.

I recently sold my Rem 700 5r as it was too heavy. I know I may be giving up some precision with a lighter rifle, but my primary use is toting it along when hunting.

I recently sold my Rem 700 5r as it was too heavy. I know I may be giving up some precision with a lighter rifle, but my primary use is toting it along when hunting.
I did a little looking around over on Armslist. There are several classic stainless .300wms, .300wsm, and a couple of .325wsm's.

Any of them would likely fit your needs quite well.

Had I not fallen in love with a couple of .375 Ruger's, one in M77 Ruger and the other a custom built Winchester Model 70 I'd probably own one of the .325wsm's by now.

I'm admittedly quite partial to the Model 70 and Montana M1999 actions.

I did a little looking around over on Armslist. There are several classic stainless .300wms, .300wsm, and a couple of .325wsm's.

Any of them would likely fit your needs quite well.

Had I not fallen in love with a couple of .375 Ruger's, one in M77 Ruger and the other a custom built Winchester Model 70 I'd probably own one of the .325wsm's by now.

I'm admittedly quite partial to the Model 70 and Montana M1999 actions.

What is the accuracy like out of one of these rifles? Do you know the barrel length/twist for the 300wm on them?

I would get a Remington 700 SPS Stainless. My Dad recently bought one this past year in 7mm Rem Mag. We glass bedded it and it shoots 1/2" after we did some load development on it. My buddy just bought a Model 700 ADL in 7mm Rem Mag a few weeks ago too. I put a laminate stock on it for him and bedded it. It shoots 3/4" with factory Federal ammo. These new Remingtons are shooters and I wouldn't hesitate buying one.

What is the accuracy like out of one of these rifles? Do you know the barrel length/twist for the 300wm on them?
If I remember right they are all 1:10 which will stabilize up to the 220 class bullets. The three I've had were all sub MOA with a little work and load workup.

There's three over on GB right now in your price range.

Agreed

Hello all,

I don't own one, but the tc compass has gotten some pretty good reviews. Dirt cheap and sometimes has rebates. Lots of YouTube reviews and plenty of money left over for upgrades or ammo.

Tikka 300wsm, wait for a sale and you'll have enough left for a brake and possibly a different stock if those appeal to you , actions are butter and out of box accuracy will not disappoint, easy to carry also as they have super lite versions available in the 6.5 lb range
This is good advice my cousin just purchased a new tikka, we zeroed it and went to a thousand in a single box of shells.
A backpack of biathlon sling really helps tote a heavy gun for hours

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.