New Rifle Recommendations

Hello all,

Looking for a new factory rifle, under $850 or so. This will be used primarily for hunting out to 500 yards (possibly 600) however, shooting past this distance for fun would be a plus.

I would like a 300 Win Mag, but am open to caliber recommendations. I hunt black bear, mule deer, and elk.

Thank you all in advance! Merry Christmas!
Winchester model 70

In your price range I would go browning xbolt or model 70 if it was me. I've never owned a tikka so I can't say on that but I know a lot of guys speak very highly of them

I don't own one, but the tc compass has gotten some pretty good reviews. Dirt cheap and sometimes has rebates. Lots of YouTube reviews and plenty of money left over for upgrades or ammo.

The TC Compass was a BIG surprise to me in a 6.5 Cre, after totally removing the trigger and installing new springs, bedding action and working up hand loads w/120 & 139 bullets. It now shoots into .3, 1/2" high @ 100.

Bergara Ridge, 1st choice

Browning X-Bolt, adjust trigger as light as it will let you. Very accurate in their "Speed" series

Tikkas are crap

Just my opinion and .02 cents

Just get a great scope...........PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Screw the Vortex, if you're on a tight budget, look at the Leupolds 4-12 Freedom

First two are the Xbolt Long Range, third is the Leupold Freedom 4-12

Last edited:
Well, i tend to agree. I have 3 and they have been lightweight, accurate out of the box and relatively well priced for the quality. Guess everybody is entitled to their opinion. "Crap" seemed like a harsh word...... buddy of mine had major heartburn over an X bolt, but I wouldn't say they were crap....anyway, god bless

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.