New Rifle Recommendations

Tikka's are hard to beat for the money. Excellent trigger as well. I bought a SIG 970SHR in .270win USED and am absolutely in love with it. I see them for sale on line every once in a while for $500 - $600. One note about the 970SHR, Just because the barrel can be easily removed doesn't mean that you have to do it. Just leave the barrel alone.

I already have optics, don't reload but planning to.
The TC Compass was a BIG surprise to me in a 6.5 Cre, after totally removing the trigger and installing new springs, bedding action and working up hand loads w/120 & 139 bullets. It now shoots into .3, 1/2" high @ 100.

This is what mine does , 3-shot group at 200 yards with factory ammo.

2 of 2 6.5 CM.jpg

The only thing I have done is changed the spring ($10 investment).

6.5 CM  TC Compass.jpg

6.5 CM deer season XP.jpg

Hello all,

Looking for a new factory rifle, under $850 or so. This will be used primarily for hunting out to 500 yards (possibly 600) however, shooting past this distance for fun would be a plus.

I would like a 300 Win Mag, but am open to caliber recommendations. I hunt black bear, mule deer, and elk.

Thank you all in advance! Merry Christmas!
If you're open to a semi-auto, take a look at the Browning BAR Mark 3. Beautiful rifle, but a little more than you said you want to spend, but well worth it. Its available in several calibers, 300 Win Mag, 300 WSM, 7mm Rem mag, as well as others and the semi mediates much recoil.

You cant beat a Tikka for the money. They are light which makes backpacking in and hiking all day easy. I have had no issues making consistent hits as far as I care to shoot elk. I threw a leupold vx3 with cds and have been shocked at how good this combo is. I went with the 7mm rem mag.

Hello all,

Looking for a new factory rifle, under $850 or so. This will be used primarily for hunting out to 500 yards (possibly 600) however, shooting past this distance for fun would be a plus.

I would like a 300 Win Mag, but am open to caliber recommendations. I hunt black bear, mule deer, and elk.

For what you intend to hunt and at the distances that you are hunting, the 300 WinMag is a tough on to be. I also like the .270 WSM, but consider it a bit light for elk.

Hello all,

Ruger Amercan 30-06 , have 3 . 30-06 has killed over 30 elk. Scope cost more than rifle

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.