Need a new rifle -- Recommendations!

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Brydawg512, Apr 20, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Brydawg512

Brydawg512 Well-Known Member

Hello all,

I'm in the market for a new hunting rifle, chambered in 7mm rem mag. I hunt black bear, deer and elk and I would like accuracy capabilities on game out to 500-600 yards and steel out to around 1,000. I plan to use handloads as well.

I had my eyes on the Bergara B14 Hunter, but just recently heard some less than satisfactory things about them and I am now directing my eyes elsewhere. For my budget, I'd like to stay under $700, but if it's really worth it I can move up to $800.

Please let me know your recommendations.

Much appreciated!

2. FIGJAM

FIGJAM Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Remington 700 Long Range maybe? Can’t go wrong with a Tikka or an XBolt either.

3. Brydawg512

How are the actions on the Remingtons? I've heard they can be a little sloppy, requiring a number of aftermarket parts?

4. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

What "exactly" is your expectation from a factory rifle at your price range? I have to admit, I almost bought one in 6.5 CM but opted for a build instead (.264 WM) since I won a TCA Compass in 6.5 CM from a raffle for $20. :cool:

Braise yourself and good luck! :rolleyes:

clownbuster and xsn10s like this.
  5. Brydawg512

I just want a rifle that is accurate and won't break on me. Ideally, a rifle that is both for hunting and my occasional personal long range shooting endeavours.

6. Creedmoor shooter

Creedmoor shooter Well-Known Member

The actions themselves are ok. Remingtons quality just isnt what it used to be. I just went through a fiasco with my Remington 700 long range due to a bur in the chamber. I got it fixed though and so far its showing great potential if being a tack driver. One thing I'll say is you should be prepared to replace the trigger. Remington triggers are garbage.

7. Brydawg512

Thank you for the info. Now, do you know anything about the Savage line of things? At this point, I'm having a hard time -- Bouncing between Bergara (still) and Tikka T3X....

8. silverhair

silverhair Active Member

What about one of the Howas in 7mm win mag? Lots of stock and barrel variations using the same action.

9. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

It is not perfect but Savage rifles' accuracy out of the box and its DIY friendliness is hard to beat.

Here's one in 7MM RM >>> https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/savage-7-rem-mag.218833/

and

"IF" you are not set on 7MM RM this is a lot of rifle for the money >>> https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/stainless-savage-300-wsm-bear-hunter.218591/

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    jareese, Petersen, PApa Black and 6 others like this.
  10. Rick Richard

Rick Richard Well-Known Member

smokey3, jareese, clownbuster and 3 others like this.
  11. Brydawg512

Are you referring to the Bear Hunter or Savage as a whole?

12. Brydawg512

13. Rick Richard

Rick Richard Well-Known Member

Savage in general, but I really like the Long Range and Predator models.

whirlwindjml and FEENIX like this.
  14. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

What I mean is that, people will always find flaws regardless of model/manufacturer. There is quite a few of us here that likes the Savage rifles/actions for what they are designed and there also others that do not care for them or absolutely hate them. Check out Savage Shooters forum and find out. I have a .270 AI with a custom 30" 1:8" Lilja barrel that is .5-.75 MOA at 1K yard (if I do my part) build for under $1K and I am currently building a .264 WM with 27" 1:7" X-caliber barrel for ~the same price.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    ccmain, PApa Black and xsn10s like this.