Need a new rifle -- Recommendations!

Hello all,

I'm in the market for a new hunting rifle, chambered in 7mm rem mag. I hunt black bear, deer and elk and I would like accuracy capabilities on game out to 500-600 yards and steel out to around 1,000. I plan to use handloads as well.

I had my eyes on the Bergara B14 Hunter, but just recently heard some less than satisfactory things about them and I am now directing my eyes elsewhere. For my budget, I'd like to stay under $700, but if it's really worth it I can move up to $800.

Please let me know your recommendations.

Much appreciated!
I would suggest looking for a cheap Rem. 700 ADL and then building it up with a stock you like.... You can get stuff like a Magpul Hunter 700 stock and Magazine Port for about $300 for instance....

But what I would look long and hard at is a Ruger American Magnum in 7mm Rem Mag. They made them for a couple years and they come with a threaded barrel. If you keep the rifle light you will want to be able to put a muzzle brake on it. There is a lot of aftermarket parts for Ruger Americans so you could build that system up also.

Whatever you do, don't look at your rifle purchase as "completed", because you will typically end up putting more money into ANY rifle you buy to get it set up the way you need it for your desired purpose.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/RUGER-AMERICAN-MAGNUM-BOLT-ACTION-RIFLE/2246519.uts

Last edited:
Agreed! The only one I know that is very close is GB's "Ask the Expert" forum, each thread is allowed 10 responses (sometimes mods allows it to go a tad more at their discretion) and then it gets locked.

I've seen tthem go for 20-30 pages of pure BS. I always make a smartass remark hoping to get put in jail when Ive been on the forum many years and the person just started a year before..

The OP should just buy a Thompson Encore frame and he can do whatever caliber he wants. Tons of options and some excellent builders. Bellm is one in Oregon.

I'd just go and buy a Remmy something in 30/06 and go kill $4!+.

Quick fast and simple to shoot at 400+ yards and beyond.

The left over funds would go towards a good quality optic in the $350 ish range ,,, if I recall the name of them is Leopold. LOL

I'd just go and buy a Remmy something in 30/06 and go kill $4!+.

Quick fast and simple to shoot at 400+ yards and beyond.

The left over funds would go towards a good quality optic in the $350 ish range ,,, if I recall the name of them is Leopold. LOL

Athlon Scopes, Millett, SWFA, Primary Arms are good scopes. All in the $4-450 range.

Hello all,

I'm in the market for a new hunting rifle, chambered in 7mm rem mag. I hunt black bear, deer and elk and I would like accuracy capabilities on game out to 500-600 yards and steel out to around 1,000. I plan to use handloads as well.

I had my eyes on the Bergara B14 Hunter, but just recently heard some less than satisfactory things about them and I am now directing my eyes elsewhere. For my budget, I'd like to stay under $700, but if it's really worth it I can move up to $800.

Please let me know your recommendations.

Much appreciated!
I just bought a Howa 1500 HS Precision.with the 26" threaded barrel. Beautoful rifle...havent shot it yet. Mines in 300 win mag....I can report back.

I'm mounting a Vortex Razor HD LH on it.

https://www.howausa.com/hs-precision

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.