Youth hunting rifle recommendations?

huntoregon

I have a 9 year old son who will be 10 before next deer season. He cant get his own tag in Oregon until 12 years old but I can sign him up for a mentored youth program where he can fill my tag.

Long story short I want to get him his own rifle in the near future so he has plenty of time to learn the rifle, practice and get confident. Im wondering what you guys think about a cartridge that would work good for deer and elk but wouldn't be too much for a kid to shoot?

Also hoping to make it happen in a factory rifle if that matters.

I've had good luck with the Ruger 77 Hawkeye Compact rifle.

Equipped with a light weight scope it carries well, which I think is a big part of getting them going. Sliding in behind dad's rifle works also.

I'd go 7-08, but .308, and .243 are out there also.

I bought my 11 year old daughter a Savage trophy hunter xp youth in .243 and it shoots excellent. We use 85 grain Barnes tsx and have taken deer and elk with it. I moved my 14 year old daughter to a Savage lady hunter in .270 win. Recoil is not too bad and like it better for elk but the recoil of the .243 would reduce flinching on a young shooter. The trophy hunter youth came with a Nikon 3-9 scope also.

Im picking up that trophy hunter for my daughter too. Also in a .243 but she will only be hunting deer with it. Savage makes a very good out of the box accurate rifle. I might also be picking up another for my wife but we will see. I know I want to get a 6.5 for myself too but that will likely be in a Long Range Hunter.

I got my kid a Tikka 7mm-08. Great round with not a lot of recoil. You can load down to 120 gr bullet for light recoil and as he gets older, you can load a heavier bullet like 140 gr.

My three grandsons shot a 7mm-08 to begin. Two are now progressed to any caliber we bring to the bench. The words, fear of recoil has never touched their ears. We think the 08 has started them off well, ages 8, 9 and 11 now. Will be replacing the stock on the 08 in a few years. Good luck

Savage or Remington. You can upgrade the stock when he grows out of the youth stock. As for caliber, has he shot before and is he recoil sensitive?

If it were me I'd go w/ a 308. Classic, do it all, low recoil, plenty of factory ammo, widest variety of bullets, and will last him a long long time. If recoil is an issue load light bullets until he can handle bigger.

I have a youth savage blind mag 22" 7-08 that shoots lights out, bone factory. I would prefer it to be a 308 for the heavier bullets but it is what it is and I can't complain about its accuracy. It has taken 2 elk to date. The 7-08 has some snappy recoil, esp w/ factory crimped loads.

What about a Tikka T3 Lite Adjustable in 6.5x55 or 260? The 6.5's speak for themselves and the stock on the T3 Lite Adj. appears to be pretty adjustable which would be a good thing considering how fast kids grow.

Never owned one but they seem to have a pretty good following of very pleased owners.

I would look at a 260 them or 6.5 creedmore if you are getting just one rifle. You can shoot 120 and reduce the load for very little recoil.

I was in this situation a few years ago and got a 243. My kid was recoil sensitive and it was too much for him at 8-9 years old although he did kill a deer with it. If I was to do again I would have bought a 223 and a 260 in exact same platform. He can learn to shoot and hunt deer with 223 and not be worried about recoil. Switch to the 260 when he hunts elk and he will never know the difference.

Another real good option for a custom build would be a 6 BR. As he gets older and wants bigger you get a 6BR out of the deal and you can sell it to the wife "it's for the kid".

Last edited:
He has shot a little bit and doesn't seem to be too scared of recoil. I have Weatherby Vanguards in both .243 and .308. He has shot the .243 off hand no problem and shot the .308 out of a Caldwell sled.

I think I might just try loading some light .308 rounds and see what he thinks since I already own that, don't know why I didn't think of that already.

+1 for 260 if you reload. I recently bought a Tikka CTR and hunted with my 11 yr old during gun season (no shooters though). I have become a fan of the 260 as a good fit between 243 and 308, and man is it accurate and soft shooting. For general hunting I would now seriously consider a Tikka T3 lite and add a pachmar recoil pad just for good measure. I love my CTR but you might not need a 10rd magazine and midweight barrel, although the extra weight does soak up some recoil.

If you don't reload a 243 might be best first gun, as to try and avoid flinch. Lots of deer killed with 243 with good bullets, ammo found everywhere. Again Tikka might be interesting, Savage is another good choice I hear and can get in youth stock sizes and then upgrade later. For that matter Tikka comes in youth now as well.

I think I might just try loading some light .308 rounds and see what he thinks since I already own that, don't know why I didn't think of that already.

Just saw your post. First try some 125 Nosler Ballistic tips and medium/lower range of 308 loading. That bullet moving at 2400-2900fps will kill most any deer.

I would look at a 260 them or 6.5 creedmore if you are getting just one rifle. You can shoot 120 and reduce the load for very little recoil.

I was in this situation a few years ago and got a 243. My kid was recoil sensitive and it was too much for him at 8-9 years old although he did kill a deer with it. If I was to do again I would have bought a 223 and a 260 in exact same platform. He can learn to shoot and hunt deer with 223 and not be worried about recoil. Switch to the 260 when he hunts elk and he will never know the difference.

Another real good option for a custom build would be a 6 BR. As he gets older and wants bigger you get a 6BR out of the deal and you can sell it to the wife "it's for the kid".

Is 260 or 6.5 creed ammo available? I was actually thinking of looking into the 6.5 before I started this thread. I would not be opposed to buying a new caliber just to have a new toy to play with.

Is 260 or 6.5 creed ammo available? I was actually thinking of looking into the 6.5 before I started this thread. I would not be opposed to buying a new caliber just to have a new toy to play with.

6.5 Creedmoor ammo is just about everywhere. Hornady has done a good job with this cartridge by making really good accurate ammo at a reasonable price for it. Check out Sportsman Warehouse, they usually have lots of it in hunting and target loads. 260 ammo selection is not as good and more expensive.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.