Factory rifle for youth hunter

huntoregon

Hey guys my 16 year old son wants to buy his own rifle and scope. He has a $2,000 budget for rifle and scope. It will be primarily used for blacktail deer and Roosevelt elk. We are also going on a mule deer buck hunt this November.

Anyhow I was hoping to get some suggestions on a factory rifle that he may be able to afford. Right now we are currently looking at a Christensen Arms Mesa chambered in either 7mm or 300 PRC. I think the 300 PRC may be a little much for him and that cartridge out of a light barrel may not be consistent. I was hoping for 300win but cant seem to find that in stock anywhere. And for the scope we are looking at a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44.

He has always used my rifles and is a decent shooter, but its time he gets his own.

Sounds like you can get a decent outfit for the budget in your currency.

I really like my .280a.i. and it's a Tikka I had assembled on a budget with C/f stock and C/f wrap barrel.

Light , accurate and tolerable.

I have a .300wm I'm a laminate stock coming in heavier.

I hope he finds a great package that shoots lights out.

Hey guys my 16 year old son wants to buy his own rifle and scope. He has a $2,000 budget for rifle and scope. It will be primarily used for blacktail deer and Roosevelt elk. We are also going on a mule deer buck hunt this November.

Anyhow I was hoping to get some suggestions on a factory rifle that he may be able to afford. Right now we are currently looking at a Christensen Arms Mesa chambered in either 7mm or 300 PRC. I think the 300 PRC may be a little much for him and that cartridge out of a light barrel may not be consistent. I was hoping for 300win but cant seem to find that in stock anywhere. And for the scope we are looking at a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44.

He has always used my rifles and is a decent shooter, but its time he gets his own.
kinda sounds to me like you got this. I would have him go with the 7mm Rem Mag.

Search the web for the host of problems that people have had with CA rifles. It seemed like they have improved, but I believe there was a thread on here not long ago indicating that the problems were very much still prevalent. I don't spend my hard earned money on brands I can't trust, and since $2k is a lot for a 16 year old, I would encourage a similar thought process.

I would look at Tikka because they are tried and true, and can still be built off of later down the road. Something like the Roughtech or Veil would offer some more premium features than their basic offering and match the budget you have in mind.

Search the web for the host of problems that people have had with CA rifles. It seemed like they have improved, but I believe there was a thread on here not long ago indicating that the problems were very much still prevalent. I don't spend my hard earned money on brands I can't trust, and since $2k is a lot for a 16 year old, I would encourage a similar thought process.
^^^^ this is spot on. I've seen at least 3 threads on here lately about CA and they were not good.

Is he going to be walking a lot with this rifle? Is he pretty much done growing? Have yall looked at any chassis style rifles?

I'd steer clear of the Christensen. If you get a good one they are great but their QA/QC is lacking at best!!!

If you don't need a magnum don't punish him or yourself with a magnum! Magnum ammo ain't cheap either.

280ai
25-06
30-06
Will take care of anything you have listed with proper bullet selection and shot placement.

Some of the brands I'm partial to are..
Bergara
Tikka
Howa
Seekens
All of which can be had for under 1k except for maybe Seekens.

If he wants a 300prc get him one. I got one in a Bergera premier HMR that shoots .3" groups with handloads. It also has a brake on it and weights about 15# so it's pretty tame in recoil.

Your scope choice would be about perfect on a 280ai.

My apologies, I know it is not what you are asking, and it is too late for this hunting season, but have you considered a semi-custom build? A Savage/Remage, Tikka, etc., would make an excellent Dad-Son project build and first rifle for the young hunter/shooter. As far as recoil, I understand it is not for everybody, but a muzzle brake can mitigate felt recoil and muzzle rise. If I had to do it all over again, this would be the route I would take with my two sons when they were younger (now 31 and 33). I have a few semi-custom builds with Savage actions under <$1K, Just a thought for your consideration. Good luck and happy safe hunting!

Last edited:
1663157725500.png

J.P. Sauer 100 Classic in 30-06

I like the 60 degree bolt throw and factory bedding. These rifles review very well: https://www.google.com/search?q=sau...j0i22i30l4.6118j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

My sons much smaller and he is left eyed so I went with a mdt chassis for a long action rem 700. I wanted him to have one gun he could keep and change however he wants . He's only going for moose right now so a eotech works great it's amazing how fast he can get back on a target with it.

I personally do not own any Christensen arms rifles , I do know several friends that do and or very pleased with them . I have read some negative reviews but I would try and talk too a factory rep too find out what the issues are . They seem too be a well made and nice looking rifle on the Rem 700 footprint , but that's just my opinion I check things out own my own .

Don't have any meaningful input on rifle but
The leupold 3-15 is a great scope. GoHunt prices are the best I've found and if you use promo code Randy you get additional 10% off.
Bought 3 last year was 949 after tax n shipping