Youth Longer Range Hunting Rifle??

MTsmith

I'm looking to find a good caliber/gun for my son (11 years old) to start deer and antelope hunting with that we can reload for and allow for the gun to "grow" with him.
My son is a prairie dog killing machine with his 223s and 22-250 out to 350 yards and he took his first deer this year with his 223.
I'm just looking for something that he can use now and then I can reload a bit stouter as he grows.
Any suggestions? I'm considering 243 win, 6x284, 6xc, yet any other good considerations
Thank you for the help in advance.

My daughter started with 223 when she was 8 killed her first whitetail at 10 with a lever 44. At 11 bought her a 243. Then 6.5 Creedmoor and at 17 a 280 Rem. If I had to do it all over she would have got 6.5 creedmoor and I would have loaded it down when she was younger. I bought her a Ultralight 280 and factory rounds kick the crap out of her and she uses her 6.5 creedmoor on everything from coyotes to elk. Just a thought

I think anyone of the mid to high capacity 6mm would be great. Same with the 6.5mm, anything like 6.5 CM, 6.5x47, 260, 6.5x284 would serve him well.

I've got kids doing well with the Tikka T3 CTR in .260. I'd likely go with the Creedmore at this time. I'd buy another if made in a left hand.
The .308 works also, but we've been running the 130 Hammer's to keep recoil down.

My favorite cartridge for coyotes, deer and antelope is a 6 creedmoor. Near identical to the 6xc you mentioned. If not planning to reload, ammuniton from Copper Creek and Hornady is very accuarte.
If you planning to hunt elk with this rifle, I'd go with a 6.5 creedmoor. Lots of good ammunition choices for the 6.5 creed.
A little further down the road, I'd would consider a 6.5x284.

I vote the 7mm-08. Loaned one to a coworker for his 12yr old daughter to try and she did well. They settled on the Ruger American, she has been shooting 1/2 to 3/4 with a couple different factory loads.

When I staryed my son I built him a 6.5-06. Hand load only but easy on recoil and capable of anu big game and can be run at long range.

Started my daughter with 7-08. Also good for everything. Just not as long range as the 6.5-06. She still uses this rifle now at 23 years old. Just took an elk and a nice 4pt muley a couple weeks ago.

Steve

Like many have said already, 6.5cm is a great way to go. 100 grain bullet with light loads when he's young, 140's with a full charge when he can handle it. That way he can anything from prairie dogs to Elk.

I say .260...because I have a .260 AI. Without a brake it has very little recoil, and that is a 140 at 3070 fps. With a brake it doesn't even move. My nieces use it and slam steel regularly, and have used it to take several animals.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.