hunting rifle accuracy

@BlazerBeam @Varmint Hunter would you two get a room now? 🤣🤣

Gonna put all the mental masturbation out of my brain for a bit and just have fun stacking boat tails! 🤩
1676314115906.png

I'm pretty sure it was passed in the late '80's. I had, a few years earlier, moved to Wyoming…..the article was in a local newspaper!

There may have been some specific language….but, I distinctly remember seeing the photo showing 2 or 3 guys, a 50 BMG (McMillan I think) with a guy sitting behind it, with large spotting scope on a tripod, a rangefinder (military surplus I think), on top of a ridge, watching across a large draw. Just guessing the range was 1 mile maybe more! There was much written pertaining to hunting sportsmanship or lack thereof! memtb
Here is our laws concerning rifle limitations:

WEAPON RESTRICTIONS Rifle, Shotgun and Airgun In any hunt, including any-weapon seasons, it is unlawful to pursue or kill big game animals:
•By any means other than approved firearms, muzzleloaders, archery methods and airguns.
• With any electronic device attached to, or incorporated in, the firearm or scope; except scopes containing battery powered or tritium lighted reticles are allowed.
• With any firearm that, in combination with a scope, sling and/or any attachments, weighs more than 16 pounds.
• With any fully automatic firearm.
• With any shotgun using shot smaller than #00 buck.
• With any rimfire rifle, rimfire handgun, or muzzleloading handgun, except for mountain lions, or legally-trapped gray wolves.

Thats not what we're talking about though. We are talking about zeroing and load development not training for practical shooting positions.

Shooting off a bench and bags is no more stable than shooting prone off a bipod with a rear bag. And seriously, if a guy can't shoot a 100 yard zero target from the prone or off a bench without introducing a bunch of shooter error to the point he can't get usable information, than he's got bigger problems..
I've shot off many a bench, not one of em as steady as Mother Earth, correct prone is pretty dang stable....

I've shot off many a bench, not one of em as steady as Mother Earth, correct prone is pretty dang stable....

Yes sir 100%. Not to mention you have your whole body behind the rifle and inline with the bore instead of just your shoulder. Helps keep that rifle right here it's supposed to be.

If you can do it, prone is the way

Last edited:
30378wbymag, Thanks for the good info on the Idaho legal firearms laws!

I do remember the article specifically mentioning the 50 BMG….perhaps few people shoot 50 BMG's weighing less than 16 pounds. Or, perhaps the law/rules changed a bit since the '80's…..either way, it was a long time ago and I've slept some since then! memtb

If what you say is true.....
WHY....when you go to a rifle match people are using a rest and bags....Are they all fools.....????
WORLD CHAMPIONS....
If you don't know how good your gun is how do you determine what the problem is on a 300 yd.target and a 4" group....????
"Some" matches Bill. A very specific type of shooter. Benchrest in particular.

Plenty world class shooters shoot off bipods but I will agree that if I had a stock like this, then rest would be a better solution.

705BC661-E051-4CC0-A7D0-B9E7C1BB3045.jpeg

Last edited:
If what you say is true.....
WHY....when you go to a rifle match people are using a rest and bags....Are they all fools.....????
WORLD CHAMPIONS....
If you don't know how good your gun is how do you determine what the problem is on a 300 yd.target and a 4" group....????
All I said was, Amen...

For me I refer to manufactures original accuracy statement. Example My 270 Weatherby mag, in 1979 was advertised to be able to shoot three rounds of Weatherby ammo, in to 1 1/4 inch at 100 yards. that was a Big Deal in 1979. I have shot numerous 3/4 in groups with my own loads out of that rifle. Even three shots into under 1/2 MOA at 300 yards with 150 Grn ABLRs, at 3000fps. For a 40 plus year old stock hunting rifle, I am very pleased. My Weatherby Ultralight in 270 Win used to just make one hole ragged groups at 100 Yards, with my own loads. I cannot ask for more than that from that thin 24inch barrel. I would say that for me that is acceptable hunting accuracy . Please note, in both rifle barrels cooling is extremely important . I cannot rush shots. Sometimes I fire the second shot fast to simulate a hunting experience. The second shot may be close "but not target quality excellent. Thankfully I have taken 6 of my last 7 bucks with one shot only from the 270 win, at 95 to 110 yard ranges. I am very pleased with the performance and the results. Each year fire about 100 to 110 rounds prior to the hunt . I need to practice.

My accuracy expectations are the same. My precision expectations are not. For a hunting rifle I keep it to a 3 shot group with emphasis on the first 2. More range/target rifles its 5 shot groups with less emphasis on the cold bore.

Do ft/lbs for each rifle weight come into the equation? Example : 8 lb rifle "all up" with 30 ft/lbs felt recoil equals "x" size group or less! How about 40 ft/lbs with 9 lb rifle?

I know that we're not supposed to be affected by felt recoil…..but, should it or should it not play into the expected group size!

Give me a break…..attempting to justify my poor shooting! 😉 memtb
Absolutely! This is why I shoot the lowly creedmoor in my ultralight rigs haha

Recent Posts