Howa 300 Mag Load Help.

Given all of this new info I think I'd do this. I'd check the crown, or have a trusted smith check it. If that looks okay I'd try a proven scope. If that doesn't change anything I'd try pressure bedding the fore end. That's what I would do because it looks like you've done the work trying different loads. I hope that helps.

I actually just got in a new Vortex diamondback tactical 6-24x50 that I plan on swapping on it. I want to put the SWFA on my AR10. Maybe that will change something. I hope I don't have to pressure bed. Did a crap ton of work free floating the fore end of the rifle.

One other thing I'd try that doesn't cost anything is shoot for groups on paper farther out. I have a 30-06 that never grouped much better than 1.5 MOA. One day while shooting my other rifles out past 300 yards on paper I tried it out for fun. It consistently grouped 1.5 INCHES at 300 yards, and just over 2 inches at 400 yards.

I'd look up articles on pressure bedding. I seem to recall a buddy of mine who was a smith using business cards under the fore end to determine if a rifle shot better while pressure bedding. Kinda like how people stack business cards under the barrel next to the recoil lug to determine if free floating improves accuracy.

If the rifle shoots 1.5-2.0" groups with factory ammo. STOP! Something is broke, IME.

Shooter: what are the best groups you have shot? Better? Way better? Or about the same?

What rest are you using?

I mentioned the scope before...

Bedding: I think I read you free floated this rifle?? Did you use epoxy to bed the action in this process? If not, you removed a pressure point, but left the barreled action less stable in the process. I would probably start here and bed a pad of epoxy around both action bolts and the recoil lug with 1-2 wraps of electrical tape around the barrel at the tip.....a basic bedding job. Be sure to put 1-2 layers of tape on the front of the lug.

sounds like you are having jacketed bullet,
barrel timing similarities , try an all copper bullet, a barnes tsx will give you a little jump relief too

have you tried any 4831 powders

If the rifle shoots 1.5-2.0" groups with factory ammo. STOP! Something is broke, IME.

Shooter: what are the best groups you have shot? Better? Way better? Or about the same?

What rest are you using?

I mentioned the scope before...

Bedding: I think I read you free floated this rifle?? Did you use epoxy to bed the action in this process? If not, you removed a pressure point, but left the barreled action less stable in the process. I would probably start here and bed a pad of epoxy around both action bolts and the recoil lug with 1-2 wraps of electrical tape around the barrel at the tip.....a basic bedding job. Be sure to put 1-2 layers of tape on the front of the lug.

Bipod for the front squeeze bag at the rear for a rest. Same day I shot this rifle I was shooting close to half MOA with my remington 223 and just under MOA with my AR10.

Rifle was epoxy bedded with steel tubing installed as turrets. All of the action was bedded.

Well I don't like bipods, but other folks shoot well enough with them.

action torqued?

I might pay somebody to look at the bore or try to load again. To do this, get a good Hornady or Nosler match bullet, load to mag length or close to it, Fed GM215M, H4831 or close, and brass fired in the rifle. Load 25 rounds min to max in 5 equal increments.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts