Howa 1500 308 accuracy issue

Bore and groove diameter are now out of spec. I bet your OAL has increaed as well. You no longer have a factory spec barrel. Send it to Howa. They know what to look for when people send them back under warranty. Also, I don't see any out of the box baseline so you have no idea if it is you rather than the rifle. You was hoping to get 1 moa from a guaranteed <1 moa warranty? That doesn't make any sense with several other things in your OP. We used to sneak over from Snipers Hide back in the day and just make this kind of stuff up.

Last edited:
I don't know how Howa will respond, but give them a try. They came through for me with problems with a carbon fiber stock.

From the Howa owner's manual: "AMMUNITION 1. Use only high quality, original factory manufactured ammunition."

On a Sako 308 that wouldn't group well at all with other factory ammo, it shoots great with factory Berger 168 Classic Hunter ammo.

How did you bed it? I learned the hard way that, unlike remington clones etc., any action with the front action screw in the recoil lug must be bedded to the bottom of the lug with no relief.

I'm sure that's probably common knowledge. I sometimes have to figure things out myself...
Wouldn't you want some relief under the lug? The front of the action beds on the flat of the front of receiver and it seems you want that to be pulled down tight. I left a few thousandths of room below the recoil lug on my Vanguard.

All the Howa/Vanguards I have seen shot lights out. Wife's Vangaurd Camilla in 6.5 shoots scary small groups for a wood stock $600 rifle with Berger Factory ammo. Friend got his son a '06 and treats it like a Fudd buys cheapest ammo with a picture of a deer on it and I don't think I have seen it throw a group like you are describing.

I would shoot my factory ammo groups, take pictures, call Howa about next steps. Modern manufacturing can turn out a dud here and there.

Several things. Tubbs of the bat was going nuclear option before you had data. Bedding is work I never do until it is proven necessary.

I had two Howas in 6.5C, one a 1500 and another Vanguard. Neither shot that well. The 1500 Houge was maybe 1.5-1 inch at best so it went down the road. The Vanguard was bedded professionally into a BC stock with a Timmy trigger. All seemed to help some, also the more fouled the barrel became the groups got a little better. Some times a Howa just not going to shoot as well as we would like.

I've never had a Howa not shoot! Also never heard of anyone bedding an Oryx....lapping the barrel before a load could also be a problem if it wasn't done precisely....and when I say I have Never seen a Howa not shoot...I own 6, bought 4 more for family and friends and sold over 50 of them! It could be the bedding.....just me! P.S.....as @VTbluegrass said....add to this the the 4 Vanguards I bought for myself and sons!

Last edited:
All the Howa/Vanguards I have seen shot lights out. Wife's Vangaurd Camilla in 6.5 shoots scary small groups for a wood stock $600 rifle with Berger Factory ammo. Friend got his son a '06 and treats it like a Fudd buys cheapest ammo with a picture of a deer on it and I don't think I have seen it throw a group like you are describing.

I would shoot my factory ammo groups, take pictures, call Howa about next steps. Modern manufacturing can turn out a dud here and there.

Several things. Tubbs of the bat was going nuclear option before you had data. Bedding is work I never do until it is proven necessary.
Yup! X 2^^^^^^

Wouldn't you want some relief under the lug? The front of the action beds on the flat of the front of receiver and it seems you want that to be pulled down tight. I left a few thousandths of room below the recoil lug on my Vanguard.

I had accuracy issues, mostly stringing, when I didn't bed the bottom of the lug. Of course with remingtons, savages, etc., you leave relieve under the lug, so that's what I originally did. Did some reading, learned that actions with the front action screw in the recoil lug should only have relieve on the front and sides of the lug. I filled in the bottom of the lug and no more issue. It's on its 3rd barrel now and still shooting under an inch at 300 yards with that same bed job...

I had accuracy issues, mostly stringing, when I didn't bed the bottom of the lug. Of course with remingtons, savages, etc., you leave relieve under the lug, so that's what I originally did. Did some reading, learned that actions with the front action screw in the recoil lug should only have relieve on the front and sides of the lug. I filled in the bottom of the lug and no more issue. It's on its 3rd barrel now and still shooting under an inch at 300 yards with that same bed job...
That is an overestimated description about how to bed a Remington or Savage lug. Tape the outer face and edges, overtightened, is all the relief you need. When you finish up with proper torque there is your relief . The recoil lug is not rocket science on these rifles.

Last edited:
Got a Howa 1500 barreled action in 308 carbon barrel. Got it in a Boyds stock,no bedding. Start breaking in the rifle with cheap ammo 150, then went to Hornady 150 Federal 168 match Kings 160. First rounds less than 1MOA. after 20th shot groups were around 0.5-0.75. If I do my part could be under 0.5 rifle (which most of the time I don't:)
Why Lapping rounds and why did you bed Oryx? I went for the factory tension of the action screws and everything was great.
Just my 2 c

I believe they do have a accuracy guarantee.
From their website.

LEGACY SPORTS INT. GUARANTEES ALL HOWA M1500 RIFLES DELIVER SUB MOA PERFORMANCE OF 1 INCH OR LESS AT 100 YARDS WITH PREMIUM FACTORY AMMUNITION.

Legacy Sports International requires an original receipt, and that the firearm be registered with Legacy Sports International. Firearms need to be registered within 30 days of purchase. Please click here, to register your firearm as soon as possible after purchase, and keep your original receipt as proof of purchase.
If you have an accuracy issue you believe is due to a manufacturer's defect with your HOWA rifle, please contact us for additional assistance.

So would that be the rifle as delivered from the factory or would shooting the lapping bullets and bedding it into a different stock or chassis void that?

Did you shoot it right out of the box? If so how did it shoot then?

The lapping is, as mentioned, usually a last resort for a know issue.

I would clean to bare metal and try the break in procedure recommended by Howa. I know barrel break in can be divisive and with the lapping you are probably too late anyway.

So would that be the rifle as delivered from the factory or would shooting the lapping bullets and bedding it into a different stock or chassis void that?
I'd imagine you would have to talk to someone that has dealt with their support. I have a few Howas but never needed to use their support.