How to talk father into spending money on quality set-up?

I also have a HST that is ok, but nowhere close to the NF. Really not a fan of the "zero stop" on the Vortex.

What sold me on the NF was the durability. Confidence in taking a digger (I'm clumsy) and still being able to trust the shot. They are very heavy though.

I also have a HST that is ok, but nowhere close to the NF. Really not a fan of the "zero stop" on the Vortex.

What sold me on the NF was the durability. Confidence in taking a digger (I'm clumsy) and still being able to trust the shot. They are very heavy though.

That sold me on them as well.

Pretty heavy yes. I have a shv with rings and a level and it is 2 pounds

The key is to have him experience shooting looking through budget scopes and then through better scopes, as described above. I have found that now that I shoot better glass, I utilize a lessor magnification setting for the same shot, and can pick out important features of targets (live or otherwise). $2-300 scopes were all I ever needed until I experienced better. I am slowly upgrading those 'lessor scopes' for better scopes, and the lessor scopes are going on lessor guns. It is a viscous circle, but it is fun! Buy once, cry once is the best approach, if you ask me.

I went with the NF NXS 2.5-10x42, I believe their lightest at 20.5 oz. My eyes are a bit old but I couldn't be happier with it.

I would spend half of what you are talking on the gun and add the left over to the optics. There are a lot of options for a 500-800 6.5 CM that will shoot lights out. People are doing it with the bottom dollar ones.

Your Dad has decided to consider the 6.5CM based on what he has read, and applied it to his own experiences and needs. Being an old dad myself, it's fully natural(and appreciated) that my kids want to help me make various decisions, but no matter how you cut it, we come from totally different worlds, with very different reference points. My advice would be to tell your Dad that if he needs anything from you during HIS decision process, that you would be glad to help out.

'We never understand a thing so well and make it our own, as when we have discovered it for ourselves
-Rene Descartes"

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.