New and looking to spend my money

jas1984

Hi all
Little background of me... been hunting pretty much 10-11 years now always using just hand me down rifles until about 2 years ago.
Hunting elk and deer here in Colorado mostly with a Ruger 7mm REM mag.

I have since gotten into long range target shooting and have a 308 for that along with a couple other guns.

This has now gotten me interested in getting into long range hunting and now I have some money saved up and I am looking for the best way to spend it.

My main question is that I am looking at spending around 2000 not including price of optics... How would you guys spend it and why? (I would like to stick with a 7mm REM mag cause I am already setup to handload for it)

I was thinking about just getting a cheaper 700 and building from there but if there is a better way to go I would like to hear it.

Thank you all

the sendero is lighter than a 700 long range and more money . the factory barrel may be great. for sure, once you put a Krieger barrel on either of those you will have it.

You can build a fine custom hunting rifle for your 2 grand. IMO, that'd be the way to go. Custom order your own chamber reamer to build exactly what you want; no compromises.
I'd start with a trued Rem. 700 action and combine it with a Bartlein barrel and McMillan Stock.

If you are not in a big hurry I would look for a used rifle there are some good deals out there.

Sorry I haven't replied in awhile I was working out of town.

I have been doing a ton of research since tho and I think I have came up with 3 options... well so far atleast

1. Sendero sfii (have read a couple bad reviews on these rifles so I am still a little sketched out on this one)

2. Tikka t3 lite ss (so far I have yet to come up with a bad review on this one besides the mags and some stock problems mostly just cosmetic with the stock)

3. Sako A7 (mostly good reviews on this one as well)

With the sendero I am also thinking if it has accuracy problems I might just go ahead and pick up a cheaper sps or something and going for a build cause there is no point in getting something expensive if I am going to have to swap out the barrel in the long run anyways.

Thoughts? Ideas? Other rifle options?

Now that I am back in town I will also be looking around for gunsmiths to talk about a possible custom build as well.

Anyone from Colorado have any experience or good reports of local gunsmiths?

Thank you to everyone for the the replies!!!

Don't know much about the Sako A7 but I did buy a new Sako 85 finnlight in 300 win mag last year even bought Sako rings and bases topped it with a leupold vx6.
When ejecting spent shells they would go straight up hit the scope bounce back into gun so you couldn't feed the next shell in, and it dinged up my new scope .
Long story short after a bunch of phone calls finally talked to the top Sako guy in the states. He said they know about the problem.
[as did the dealer that sold me the gun I found out after I spent $1500 on it]
but, would not do anything about it!
I asked him what I should do about my problem and he gave me the info to his legal dept. and to me to take them to court.
I know this is only one persons experience but, based on that I would not recommend buying a Sako

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.