New Member looking to get into the sport

A04Goat

Howdy all. Im originally from Central PA and spent a lot of time hunting growing up with my old man. Winchester Model 94 and a 300 savage is what we used most around our parts.

Long story short, I moved to IN and never touched a rifle again, I shoot pistols weekly, but rifles have been a thing of the past to me.

Im looking to get back into it, there is a 1000yd range not to far from me and i've been considering get another rifle and using that range. I've always had an obsession with shooting distance from the time my father wouldnt let me take a shot a deer that was around 500yds out telling me about drop and wind etc. So here it is 15 years later and i want to hit that target and beyond.

So, had a few local options brought up to me, 300 win mag or 308 based etc.

Im lucky in the sense that my boss does shoot some distance and shares the same love for firearms that i do, but the technical end, starting out from a blank i figured id do some research. He shoots a Savage .308 deal.

Im gonna do some digging to see what the new and best stuff is for max of 1360 and mostly 500-1000 yd shots.

Thanks, and this looks like a great forum so far from the short amount of digging i've done.

Be easy on me, im ignorant to this stuff as i've been consumed with pistols for a long while.

Thank you,

Kyle

Hey Kyle,
Welcome to LongRangeHunting. I'm not going to get too deep in it as others will probably chime in and add to the mix and hopefully all this will help steer you down the right path(s).
Sounds like your boss might be a good inspiration. The .308 is a good cartridge to cut your teeth on. Recoil is not too bad, the ballistics are there for at least 750-800 yards consistently, and there are tons of info and ammo for it.
The .300 WinMag is more (a lot more) of the .308Win. I owned/shot a .308 years ago and now own/shoot the .300WinMag. I think it's safe to say that just short of a dislocated shoulder or detached retina, I will probably never lay down the .300 and go back to the .308.
Nothing wrong with the .308 and I'm not bashing it, but the .300 is consistently effective out to 1000-1200yds (and beyond in the right hands). This increased range and power comes at a price and that would be recoil. Some folks, especially newbie's, tend to develop a flinch, which can wreak havoc on your form, your confidence and your ability to hit the broadside of a barn. There are things, however, that can be done to reduce recoil and that is a good recoil pad and a muzzle break.
I have added both to my .300 since moving up to the 208/210gn projectiles.
Hopefully, along your journey you will pick up reloading and develop a love for it also. I think you'll find that reloading and shooting perpetuate one another.
Anyway, there's a little bit of info (and opinion). Welcome aboard and happy shooting. JohnnyK.

Thanks Johnny and Dosh.

Johnny, He is haha. He is the one that got me back into shooting in the first place as he competition shoots his AR-15 and does some competitive stuff with his is Glock34s.

I fully intend at some point to begin doing my own reloading, makes it hard when he loads all my ammo already and does it for next to nothing, i typically just collect brass for him. He does his own loads for his 9mm, .45 and his .308, we are supposed to be going up to that 1kyd range very shortly to try a couple of his hand loads and i'll get my first experience at attempting any kind of real distance.

Thanks again.

Its confusing becuase i see what appears to be a bunch of different options for this range.

Heya... If you're intent on staying in the .30 cal range... Then I think both your choices are viable. If you only plan on buying 1 gun... Then I would go with the 300 wm or wsm with a muzzle brake which was mentioned above. If you are likely to get another gun down the road and still looking to stay in the .30 cal family, then I would get the .308 first. It'll allow you to shoot a lot more ammo comfortably without a brake, and you'll learn a lot more about ballistics and force you to become a better shooter. Then shooting the 300 mag after, will seem easy.

On the other hand... If you aren't saddled to the .30 cals... The I would go with 7mm. The 7mm family of bullets typically have better flight characteristics (ballistic coefficient) than the .30s and there are a lot of good choices of bullets as well. The 7-08, 7mm Rem mag, stw, as well as Rums etc will definitely get out there and with less wind drift, etc.

I went with the .30s, and I do love my guns, but if I had it all to do over again from the start... I think I'd lean towards the 7s. I just stayed with the 30 cals because I could share bullets between my 308s, 30-06, and 300 wm, so reloading was more convenient and gave me flexibility.

I moved to Fort Wayne IN right after my wife finished her schooling for a job she really wanted and we lived out there until our son was born. I loved the trees, but not being able to hunt with my high powered rifles... Well... Ouch!

Moved back home thank god to be close to family with the added benefit of being able to hunt with my rifles. Hope you and your boss get a chance to get off the range and out in the field to hunt with your new guns. Canada, Montana, and Wyoming would give you guys a chance to put you range time to work.

Congrats and have fun. I don't think you can go wrong no matter what you do!

Kyle, welcome to the forum. Ask questions, do some searching and you will compile some good info to make an informed decision. Have fun and enjoy. Savage's are decent and accurate factory rifles.

Don Dunlap

Howdy all. Im originally from Central PA and spent a lot of time hunting growing up with my old man. Winchester Model 94 and a 300 savage is what we used most around our parts.

Long story short, I moved to IN and never touched a rifle again, I shoot pistols weekly, but rifles have been a thing of the past to me.

Im looking to get back into it, there is a 1000yd range not to far from me and i've been considering get another rifle and using that range. I've always had an obsession with shooting distance from the time my father wouldnt let me take a shot a deer that was around 500yds out telling me about drop and wind etc. So here it is 15 years later and i want to hit that target and beyond.

Im lucky in the sense that my boss does shoot some distance and shares the same love for firearms that i do, but the technical end, starting out from a blank i figured id do some research. He shoots a Savage .308 deal.

Im gonna do some digging to see what the new and best stuff is for max of 1360 and mostly 500-1000 yd shots.

Thanks, and this looks like a great forum so far from the short amount of digging i've done.

Be easy on me, im ignorant to this stuff as i've been consumed with pistols for a long while.

Thank you,

Kyle

Kyle,

Welcome to LRH and enjoy! Savage is an excellent choice for your intended use at an affordable price. Here are some stock factory rifles shooting at your required distances and beyond ...

Good luck and happy safe hunting/shooting.

Ed

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys! New to the group, and long range as well. Indiana is opening up rifles next year! I'm working off a Savage Trophy Hunter 11 in .308. You talking about Young's Long Shot up north, Kyle? I live just south of Anderson.

Last edited:
Hey guys! New to the group, and long range as well. Indiana is opening up rifles next year! I'm working off a Savage Trophy Hunter 11 in .308. You talking about Young's Long Shot up north, Kyle? I live just south of Anderson.

I hadnt heard about Youngs long shot to be honest, but im looking them up now lol. The two i know of are just north of and just south of ft wayne. I'll have to get the names and report back tomorrow, i forgot what they were. both were up 1k though.

Sorry, been away awhile here, finishing out the racing season, drag, and now im looking forward to setting myself up for next year.

Im VERY excited about rifles opening up for next season, its really got me invigorated to get my *** in gear and find a rifle.

I personally keep leaning toward one of the LRP rifles from savage. But again, not real sure on the chambering of it. seems the 3 options they offer would lean me more toward the credmore.

What other manufactures offer a similar style, "out of the box" type rilfe, heavy barrel, heavy rifle etc, geared more toward range?

I was looking on the remington site, but im weird about websites lol, didnt like their layout.

Thank you,

Kyle
If all you're doing is banging steel and shooting paper there are lots of good options.

The .308 and .260 are very easy on barrels for high volume shooters but beyond 800yds the .308 starts running out of gs in a hurry and flight time/wind can really eat on you.

The 6.5x284 is a very popular long range target rifle and has great ballistics but it is harder on barrels.

The 300wm is more than capable of game to a thousand and beyond and with the right bullets can be an extreme precision shooter beyond 1000yds.

When it comes to platforms and optics there are lots of options, the big thing is setting on a budget.

At the bottom end with the Remington 700LR you can start off at around 600-750.00 and have a lot of room left in the budget for good glass.

If you go with a full custom the sky is the limit and if you have the budget then that's a great way to go.

Lots of other good options to consider as well.

I would decide on how long of shots you plan on taking first, then budget second, and go from there onto caliber, manufacturer and model, and then on set-up (i.e., stock, trigger, barrel, etc). I chose the 11 XP Trophy Hunter because of how cheap it was ($399 from Palmetto State, and I got a $75 rebate also), which would allow me to build it up how I choose, and keep my cost (minus glass) down. I went with .308 so I could build it up, shoot LR and practice my wind calls and getting it out there, and plan on swapping it over to 7mmx08 just before firearms season next year. I'll be taking between 100-700 yard shots next year, and either of those rounds would do. I also didn't want a boat load of recoil, hence the .300 SA calibers. I haven't done hardly anything to the rifle yet other than check all the mounts for the scope, level it, and make sure the barrel lug was seated properly and the action screws torqued properly. I consistently get 1/4 -1/2 MOA @ 100 yards shooting Black Hills Gold Match 168gr out of it. I can't wait to see how well it does once I stretch its legs, and then get it worked up and start load development.

If all you're doing is banging steel and shooting paper there are lots of good options.

The .308 and .260 are very easy on barrels for high volume shooters but beyond 800yds the .308 starts running out of gs in a hurry and flight time/wind can really eat on you.

The 6.5x284 is a very popular long range target rifle and has great ballistics but it is harder on barrels.

The 300wm is more than capable of game to a thousand and beyond and with the right bullets can be an extreme precision shooter beyond 1000yds.

When it comes to platforms and optics there are lots of options, the big thing is setting on a budget.

At the bottom end with the Remington 700LR you can start off at around 600-750.00 and have a lot of room left in the budget for good glass.

If you go with a full custom the sky is the limit and if you have the budget then that's a great way to go.

Lots of other good options to consider as well.

Thank you for your insight. its much appreciated.

As far as banging steel, yes, i intend that, but i also intend to hunt with this rifle.

Im not sure i'll be shooting 1000yd hunting, but i'd like this rifle to double as a range/hunting rifle.

Also, as far as budget, i was thinking in the $2,000 range to start off with.

I hate making choices like this. I always worry that i made the wrong choice and wonder if there was a better option afterward, this is where i end up selling and buying and selling and buying... etc... it just gets aggravating.

I guess what it boils down to.

*Must be able to shoot out past a grand (understanding that im just as important)
*take down a deer at that range should that scenario happen
*dependable
*buildable platform. Maybe something i can buy now, and upgrade down the road with furniture or whatever else to move up in distance and repeatability, I dont want to buy something now that will need replaced entirely later. if that makes sense.

A Remington 700 or Savage Model 10/12 would be a good solid start IMO. And if you don't mind the recoil, a 7 mag would be a decent LR/long range hunting round. 6.5CM would be ok for hunting Whitetail, but like .308/7mmx08, you want to watch how far you lob it to be ethical. 7mag, 6.5CM or 7mmx08 would be my choices, but there are other great calibers out there. Read up on the 7mag rounds, look at their ballistics, and compare to the 6.5CM. Those are popular for LR, but I see plenty of guys running those for hunting as well.

Thank you for your insight. its much appreciated.

As far as banging steel, yes, i intend that, but i also intend to hunt with this rifle.

Im not sure i'll be shooting 1000yd hunting, but i'd like this rifle to double as a range/hunting rifle.

Also, as far as budget, i was thinking in the $2,000 range to start off with.

I hate making choices like this. I always worry that i made the wrong choice and wonder if there was a better option afterward, this is where i end up selling and buying and selling and buying... etc... it just gets aggravating.

I guess what it boils down to.

*Must be able to shoot out past a grand (understanding that im just as important)
*take down a deer at that range should that scenario happen
*dependable
*buildable platform. Maybe something i can buy now, and upgrade down the road with furniture or whatever else to move up in distance and repeatability, I dont want to buy something now that will need replaced entirely later. if that makes sense.
With all of that under consideration I'd lean towards a 300wm in a Sendero or similar platform. Checkout the classifieds here at LRH. You can find a lot of really nice rigs for sale there, some of them very well made and very low mileage if you are patient.

Out to 800yds the 6.5's are outstanding as well but beyond that they get a little light for game unless your bullet placement is near perfect.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.