New to the sport. Advice needed

I would agree with that.

Being as you got into this because of precision shooting you might look at the Savage F-class rifles which can do double duty. A little heavy for hunting but managable and very competitive on the range even against custom rifles.

an f-class in 6.5-284, or 6mm br. or a ruger 77vt in 6.5 or 25-06; or a remington 700 in 243 or 25-06.

This is what I would do if I was in your shoes. I would look at the following scopes. I pick high power scopes because of shooting at g-hogs. They tend to disappear behind reticules due to size at distances past 500yrds.

Falcon Menace 5-25x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope

Bushnell 6-24x50 Elite 4200 30mm Rifle Scope cousin uses this one and seems to be doing pretty well sitting astride his 338 Lapua Mag.

Nikon 6-18x40 Buckmaster Riflescope I've owned this one. It's a great starting scope and you can grow and learn with it.

Sightron 6-24x50 SIII 30mm Riflescope

Vortex 6.5-20x44 Viper 30mm Rifle Scope currently own this one in a target dot.

Vortex 6-24x50 Viper PST 30mm Rifle Scope

Leupold, IOR, and Nightforce would also be some good ones to consider, but they cost a pretty penny in excess of $1000.

For bases to mount the rings look at 20MOA in Badger Ordinance, Night Force, Leupold, or if your tight like me, the EGW base works great. I own one and has worked great. I did own 2 of the EGW, but changed the application on the rifle and traded it for a different base.

I currently own Weaver Tactical rings. They are a little over kill, but at least I know the scope is locked down. I've owned Burris XTR rings and Signature Z rings. Both worked really well. Any of the three I would suggest to anyone. I also own Warne rings that are very sturdy as well.

Look into a Bell & Carlson Medalist A2 Stock. Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist A2 Style Remington 700 SPS BDL Savage 10/12 Weatherby Vanguard Howa 1500 Vertical Grip 2092, 2096, 2997, 2998 & 2999

Midway offers Shilen Match barrels in .243 that will fit the Stevens action. You may want to consider a Douglas or Lothar Walther barrels as well.

Shilen Barrel Savage 110 Series Small Shank 243 Winchester Varmint Contour 1 in 8" Twist 26" Stainless Steel - MidwayUSA

Shilen Barrel Savage 110 Series Small Shank 243 Winchester Varmint Contour 1 in 8" Twist 26" Stainless Steel - MidwayUSA Highly consider this caliber!

Shilen Barrel Savage 110 Series Small Shank 22-250 Remington Varmint Contour 1 in 8" Twist 26" Stainless Steel - MidwayUSA the tight twist you could use heavier bullets for deer at shorter ranges 0-300yrds. Shot placement would be essential.

And then the trigger: Rifle Basix Rifle Trigger Savage 10 through 16, 110 through 116 with or without AccuTrigger 4 oz to 3 lb Black - MidwayUSA With

Go ahead and buy the Stevens short action and use any or all the parts above. The long action would be okay to use as well. You will have a real shooter. Hope this helps.

Tank

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.