Looking to move into long range

alaskagunman

Thank you for taking the time to respond, this is my first post here. I am trying to get into long range performance and leaning towards a .338 lapua magnum as I've experienced the range of a .50 BMG but want more mobility and from what I've read so far, it sounds like the cartridge has relatively close performance. For the most part I'll be using the rifle for target practice and would like the range capability and a accurate rifle for fun to complement my regular 30-06 hunting rifle. I've found many many options for custom built rifles and found their prices to be intimidating. I've tried to look for actions but have stumbled upon so many options I quickly got lost. What size action would I need, and maybe before that even, what am I looking to be spending for the gun itself, no optics or ammo (i know both are equally expensive). thanks in advance again for your help.

Go to Armalites web site and look at the ar30m in 338 LM I have one and it shoots great. And for less than $1600 its hard to beat. Take the other $2000 to $3000 that you would spend for a custom and put it towards optics and ammo.

what sort of distances have you shot with it? And how mobile of a weapon is it? I've never heard anything but good about the muzzle break of the ar30 (and ar50) and the price is definitely nice, i've just found little insight into the accuracy of the rifle chambering in 338 LM out past 500 yards.

Most of the AR 30s are normally 1 MOA guns at 1000 from the ones I have seen fired at matchs. Hornady took one to the 1k Nationals last year and tested their new 338 prototype bullets and if I remember turned in maybe a 9" group. That is normally very good for the AR 30s.

I would recommend you watch on this board for a good used 338 for awhile before jumping out there.

Meanwhile pick up a good scope such as a NF/IOR with MP8 reticle that gives an extra 24 MOA in the stadia wires.

With the 300 SMK, you can easily get one mile and depending on the gun, you can get .5-1 MOA.

BH

So far shot out to 1150 with it shoots sub mao (probally better with a better shooter LMAO) Have shot a 2 1/4 at 528 yrds. A 8 3/4 at 1000yrds. I'm not a benchrest shooter so I think those groups are good for me. Using 91grns. H1000 and a 300SMK bullet. and a bushnell 10x40 scope. Probally get better results with a better scope and this was mid winter also.

your site worked. thank you very much this is exactly the sort of information i was looking for. what was your total cost for the rifle with the muzzle break attached?

alright. i'm trying to see what prices the local shops up here can offer me, and then if that falls through the shipping from that shop and FFL transfer fees up here. thanks for all your help.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.