Talk Some Sense Into Me

I've been a fan of the X bolts - I've had a couple but eventually sold them to purchase/fund other builds. For your purposes, I think you'd definitely be happy with the X bolt. It's a solid factory rifle.

Go handle a Tikka if you can - I think you'll be very happy.

I'd be all over this T3x Super Varmint:

Last edited:
Any larger case 22 caliber or 6mm cartridge should be right in your wheelhouse for 200-400 yard chucks and coyotes. As far as rifles I d say get the one that feels best to you and fits your budget. An important thing, IMO, to remember is your point that you ll shoot factory ammo. Something with more choices vs less is better!

Also, if you envision any aftermarket upgrades ( trigger, stock, etc) remember some models have way more support than others. ( ex: Chevy vs Rambler !!)

You re well on your way to making a good choice 'for you' !

Just my 2 cents… the Seekins Precision rifles are wonderful as well for over the counter rifles. Their warranty is amazing, basically if you dont like the way it shoots they fix it. Great ppl to deal with.

bottom line is there are a lot of very nice rifles to choose from, just pick the one you like And enjoy it.

I'm stuck in a never-ending loop of looking for a good rifle, reading reviews on the internet, and then second guessing myself.
Currently, I'm really liking the features that come with the Browning X-bolt Hell's Canyon Speed A-TACS AU in .243 Win, but reading online comments gives me a little hesitation. This rifle has all of the features that I want and more, but what kind of accuracy can I expect from this rifle?
My purpose is Coyotes and groundhogs at 200-400 yards and most likely not high-volume.
Am I making a mistake looking at this particular rifle, or am I overthinking this?
Should I be looking at the Tikka T3X rifles instead?
I have allotted about $1,000 for the glass, so that shouldn't be an issue.
Talk some sense into me.
Your not the only one to get stuck in indecision lol. I'd consider some of the other suggestions too like the Savage and Tikkas. I'm a Remington fan but am considering other rifle too. I never owned a X Bolt but my friend has had two or three and he liked them. He traded them off, but he liked them. I'd probably do like WeekedWarrior said and see which one fits me the best. I'd also see which one turns your crank. When you find it you'll know. And if you don't like it you can always sell it latter on. Best of luck and enjoy yourself!

You
Who are you & how did you infiltrate this forum?

Everyone knows the Second Rule of Gun Guys is "Always encourage & enable additional firearm purchases".

I think your blood sugar was low. Try again. Encourage him to get the Browning or at least a Tikka. Gads man, what were you thinking!?
You're right, I must have had temporary insanity. I thought I was helping a brother in trouble.
Feed that demon and buy 2, why settle for 1 when you know your going to want another right after.
So get ahead of that curve with 2. I'd. I'd buy a third just cause Joe doesn't want you to.

The last one I bought was Tikka CTR, I've been very happy with it. It just needed a proper chassis change .

Last edited:
I think you are overthinking it - go with the Browning. They are excellent. Nothing is a 100% guarantee. But with a Browning your odds of getting a great product are very high. Remember that the internet is an amplifier for the negative. Very few people, in reality, have any issues with the X-Bolts. Get the gun that "speaks" to your heart. You'll be happy.
Well done!

I'm stuck in a never-ending loop of looking for a good rifle, reading reviews on the internet, and then second guessing myself.
Currently, I'm really liking the features that come with the Browning X-bolt Hell's Canyon Speed A-TACS AU in .243 Win, but reading online comments gives me a little hesitation. This rifle has all of the features that I want and more, but what kind of accuracy can I expect from this rifle?
My purpose is Coyotes and groundhogs at 200-400 yards and most likely not high-volume.
Am I making a mistake looking at this particular rifle, or am I overthinking this?
Talk some sense into me.
Buy what YOU want! Personally I love my X- bolts! But I love ALL THE GUNS I have or ...like 'em a heck of a lot! But you being a realist and stating 2-400 yards...you won't go wrong with the Hells Canyon. It's a gun I would have LOVED to add to my collection....but at having just entered the esteemed group of Seniors....do I need to have 65 guns......The answer is HELL YEAH!

I think you are overthinking it - go with the Browning. They are excellent. Nothing is a 100% guarantee. But with a Browning your odds of getting a great product are very high. Remember that the internet is an amplifier for the negative. Very few people, in reality, have any issues with the X-Bolts. Get the gun that "speaks" to your heart. You'll be happy.
Savage really turned the corner and is putting out some very accurate rifles and I know several guys who have them. However the hells canyon line of Brownings is famous as well for out of the box accuracy and Browning will back it up. Another one with a accuracy guarantee is Weatherby Vanguard. They promise sub moa with factory. ammo.Go with your heart!

Browning X-Bolts are smooth, well made, and the four I have had are accurate. Two I have now will go to the grave with me... shooting several handloads sub 1/2" consistently... like every time I shoot them. All have been sub-moa.
They fit me well. I compare all other rifles to the X-Bolt and have found nothing I like as much... including my latest full custom build.
This is a great time in firearms history with many good choices out there. I had Tikkas, and although great rifles the Brownings fit me better and edged out the Tikkas a bit in accuracy... for me. I also like the bolt lock on the X-Bolts.
I do believe either will easily perform the task you are asking of them.

I have yet to see a Tikka not shoot very well. I've heard brownings are feast or famine and that's working at a gun store chatting with the guy who sights in all the customer rifles.

I've had more than a few Brownings over the years and have not had a bad one. My only dislike are the triggers. Also have owned/shot a few Tikka's and they are great also. You can actually adjust the trigger. I handload so am able to find a load they like. With factory ammo more of a gamble. They both are very good off the shelf rifles. Which ever one feels better to you….. Enjoy the process

Talk some sense into me.
Get a tikka with a varmint barrel and don't look back. Heads and tails above a browning IMO.

One possible option: go to a gun shop. Buy a decent used rifle for $300 or $400. Immediately replace the barrel with a top quality barrel. There have been numerous threads on this forum about custom barrels. Which ones people like, etc. I suspect you will get much better accuracy then you would from buying a factory gun. What I'm saying is I don't believe that any factory barrel is close to as good as a top quality custom barrel. On top of that, it should actually cost you less. This gives you more money for the next rifle you're going to build😆 just my two cents worth.