Lets talk brands

BrokenHorn

Hi all. I found this site last night as I'm doing my research for "building" myself a long range gun. Long range meaning capable of taking elk/deer at 600 yrds. So my search has begun. What I'm looking for now is a gun to start with. What do most of you consider to be a good gun to start with? Remington, Savage, SAKO, Browning, Winchester??? I have about 1,000 to get started (barrel and action) I want to do the extras (bedding, floating, lapping, triger etc) myself. I do hand load and have been doing that for 20 years.
So, what say you?

I did a search but really din't find what I was looking for. I'm sure this question gets asked a lot and my appologies if I over looked it.

BrokenHorn
Brands are a tough one. There is a lot of personal preference there. For your demands of 600 yard Deer/Elk gun then most would be able to meet your needs with a little TLC and good optics. If you want something a little different then you may look at the Tikka T3 Varmint (Basically a Less Expensive Sako). They are gauranteed to shoot 3 shots less than an inch and with handloads you should be able to do much better than that.

For accuracy right out of the box, the Savage rifles are hard to beat. Two hunting buddies both owns 300 WSM's that will shoot half minute all day.

If your building a rifle I would start with a Rem 700 receiver, fully accurize it and fit a top end barrel to the receiver. My personal favorite would be a Lilja but there are many others that are top quality barrels as well.

600 yards is a decent poke at elk size game. For that reason I would recommend at least a 7mm Mag class round for the chambering.

Some 270 wildcats will certainly work such as the STW or my 270 AM or 277 AM but these are hardly typical 270 caliber rounds.

Use heavy bullets and you will be off to a good start if the machining is true.

Good Luck on the project.

Kirby Allen(50)

4d21a2e0a9b08953f3deca4a9d3a0192-.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.