Talk Some Sense Into Me

I want to thank the majority of you for taking the time to give reasonable opinions.
I am a Military veteran and retired LEO of 31+ years. I'm not new to shooting. That being said, I don't have the experience or abilities with a rifle that most of you on this forum have. I have done pretty well with an old Savage 110 in .243 that my Grandfather passed down, but it is pretty old and showing it. I found that a new barrel and new stock for it would cost me what a new rifle with the features I want would cost.
I decided to spend my limited available funds on a new rifle, so that was the reason for my post.
Would love to reload, however, I don't have the space or funds available for that at this time.
I decided on .243 because of several reasons: It is what I'm most familiar with in a bolt rifle, flatter shooting and more range than .223 with better wind resistance, more than capable for the distances I stated and with more down range power, and a wide variety of factory ammo options. I didn't go for the 6.5 CM because I didn't think it really provided any advantage over the .243 inside of the 400 yards max I will be shooting, if I am wrong about that please feel free to correct my thinking on that.
The Tikka Supervarmint really peaks my interest, especially the stainless model, if I can actually find one I may go in that direction.

I want to thank the majority of you for taking the time to give reasonable opinions.
I am a Military veteran and retired LEO of 31+ years. I'm not new to shooting. That being said, I don't have the experience or abilities with a rifle that most of you on this forum have. I have done pretty well with an old Savage 110 in .243 that my Grandfather passed down, but it is pretty old and showing it. I found that a new barrel and new stock for it would cost me what a new rifle with the features I want would cost.
I decided to spend my limited available funds on a new rifle, so that was the reason for my post.
Would love to reload, however, I don't have the space or funds available for that at this time.
I decided on .243 because of several reasons: It is what I'm most familiar with in a bolt rifle, flatter shooting and more range than .223 with better wind resistance, more than capable for the distances I stated and with more down range power, and a wide variety of factory ammo options. I didn't go for the 6.5 CM because I didn't think it really provided any advantage over the .243 inside of the 400 yards max I will be shooting, if I am wrong about that please feel free to correct my thinking on that.
The Tikka Supervarmint really peaks my interest, especially the stainless model, if I can actually find one I may go in that direction.
Personally I think you have made a reasonable choice hope you find a rifle👍🏻

IMO, you won't go wrong with the Browning you specify.
People talk about Thompson Compass rifles being shooters too.
I have Tikkas, Savages, etc.
Since you're retired, and by inference on a fixed budget, I recommend the following:
  • Savage Rifle, Tikka if it's the same price or close.
  • Used glass - might consider something like a Weaver T36 or whatever you currently have on your Grandpa's Savage.
  • Go with a 243 or 6CM
  • Find a used RCBS RC Jr, start reloading. That'll get your loads dialed in.

Who are you & how did you infiltrate this forum?

Everyone knows the Second Rule of Gun Guys is "Always encourage & enable additional firearm purchases".

I think your blood sugar was low. Try again. Encourage him to get the Browning or at least a Tikka. Gads man, what were you thinking!?

You're right, I must have had temporary insanity.
Perhaps it was remnants of .... ?? ;)

istockphoto-509431860-612x612.jpg

I have owned numerous brownings and found some accurate and some not. But i now own 2 Christiansen Mesa's and both are very accurate and the triggers are much better than the brownings. Both are about the same price and weight. I have also sited in 2 tikas for clients and both shot .750 groups at 200 yards with Hornady factory ammo. (7 mm mag). My cash goes for tikas and mesa's.

For a non-reloader, the 6.5 Creedmoor is a no brainer. The selection and prices for Creed ammo will be better then ,243 when this ammo shortage passes. The Creed's accuracy with factory ammo is well established.

For shooting medium game animals out to 400yds, I'd prefer the Creed but that's just me.

You're a grown man and you need someone to tell you what rifle to buy?? Do you need someone to help you drive to your hunting spot too? Now I know why I don't read these things!
Thanks for your input. Here's something from another Grown *** man..Perhaps your personality is not suited for this forum. Thank goodness you're only at 7 posts; so not much vested time being unhelpful.
all the best.

Thank you for your service.
You know, as Your choice is in the 243cal, perhaps a 6mm creed might be the ticket too. One advantage is you'll be able to shoot both light and heavy pills. (Minimum 8 twist of course) another is the 6CM will likely be more readily available in a new rifle as their popularity is taking off.
Perhaps your situation will change, where you can do some reloading so keep all the 6&6.5CM brass.

Next to impossible to change a browning. It is how you buy it. If it shoots very well, good on ya. If not, your stuck with it.
Tikka has a lot of aftermarket support as does savage and Remington.
I've heard from a rifle builder that there action is near I'm possible to replace a barrel due to the quality of metal in the action. He said they are made of cheap metal that breaks when you remove the barrel? So I really don't know??????

A year ago I bought a Remington 700 SPS at a walmart for $199. Its a 223. Put a 10x SWFA scope on it and it shoots .5-75 for 5 shots at 100 yards with factory Hornady 55 grain ammo. I'd feel very comfortable in shooting varmints at the OP ranges mentioned. I've shot steel to 500 yards with mine and accuracy holds up great.

I did take mine out of the plastic and dropped it into an old wood ADL stock though. I guess just saying that there are lower priced alternatives that work very well also.

A year ago I bought a Remington 700 SPS at a walmart for $199. Its a 223. Put a 10x SWFA scope on it and it shoots .5-75 for 5 shots at 100 yards with factory Hornady 55 grain ammo. I'd feel very comfortable in shooting varmints at the OP ranges mentioned. I've shot steel to 500 yards with mine and accuracy holds up great.

I did take mine out of the plastic and dropped it into an old wood ADL stock though. I guess just saying that there are lower priced alternatives that work very well also.
I have had the same experience with ALL Remington 700 small action rifles. Two years ago I bought a .223 VLS. This rifle shoots everything up to 60gr pills, and shoots them well. I too dropped mine into a different stock. Because I love varmint hunting in the rain; Out with the wood and on with the synthetic one.

Attachments

• D6CC2D41-BF65-4FD9-BE10-999C380DFA3D.jpeg
    D6CC2D41-BF65-4FD9-BE10-999C380DFA3D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • 5176D1A6-5128-4A25-A1CE-2D22EA4DBBAF.jpeg
    5176D1A6-5128-4A25-A1CE-2D22EA4DBBAF.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 11
Well, after much searching I couldn't really find exactly what I was looking for. However, while at Cabelas the other day I happened upon a Bergara B-14 HMR 6.5 CM in left hand configuration. Since I shoot rifles left handed due to left eye dominance, I figured it was Karma and the rifle went home with me. I also worked out a deal with them and bought a Zeiss Conquest V4 with ZMOA illuminated reticle, 6-24 x 50.
The rifle comes with a scope rail base, but I'm not sure what MOA the rail is. For those of you with the HMR, can you suggest scope rings for this scope that will give me the proper setup on the included base?