• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED How to ship guns?? Do you have to be a dealer???

Sold a gun and no one will ship it. Any suggestions?

Depending on what state you live in, you can ship the gun yourself to a FFL holder. From there its on the dealer to get the gun to the buying party.

UPS, USPS and FEDEX all ship long guns.

pistols need to ship ffl to ffl, or you can ship a pistol overnight only from private party to ffl. which is usualy to **** much money. long guns you can ship private party to ffl. i ship long guns from a "pack ship and more" and can only use fed ex because ups requires gun shipment from there hubs only.

You can ship it to the buyers FFL.

The easiest way is simply at the post office.

UPS and FEDEX will also ship your rifle, but you have to do it from a hub or terminal office.

UPS stores and the like, usually cannot ship rifles because they are independently owned "stores", and are not technically a "shipper". They only hold the packages for pickup by the real UPS or Fedex.

Another great way to ship is to have an account with UPS or Fedex. They will come to your door and pick it up.

Just remember that none of them are immune from losing or breaking stuff. Package it carefully and insure it for the full value. CYA.

I have had the greatest luck with my local post office. They have been great--UPS has always been a pain.
Just send it to an FFL.

Randy

Actually you have to be an ffl to ship through the post office. If you set up an account online for UPS, you can create your shipping label and give the package to any UPS driver or schedule a pickup. We have a daily pick up at my office, so I just usually put it in the pile with the others, and haven't had any problems.

Well, apparently my post office says that you don't have to have an ffl--you just have to ship it to one.
I'll take their word for it and it works for me.
And it may be a small town thing---thank god for that.

Randy

Actually you have to be an ffl to ship through the post office.

Not true.
This from the shipping page from gunbroker.com GunBroker.com - Help Center

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

You need an FFL to ship a handgun USPS. Long guns can be shipped by an individual, out of state they need to go to an FFL or yourself.

432 Mailability

You can ship it to the buyers FFL.

The easiest way is simply at the post office.

UPS and FEDEX will also ship your rifle, but you have to do it from a hub or terminal office.

UPS stores and the like, usually cannot ship rifles because they are independently owned "stores", and are not technically a "shipper". They only hold the packages for pickup by the real UPS or Fedex.

Another great way to ship is to have an account with UPS or Fedex. They will come to your door and pick it up.

Just remember that none of them are immune from losing or breaking stuff. Package it carefully and insure it for the full value. CYA.

Best post of the thread.

I just drop long guns off at the post office and have had zero shipping issues. I will say, though, that if there is damage to the item (firearm or scope) via the post office it's almost impossible to get money even with insurance. First hand experience as recipient of two damaged items.

UPS is probably better with regard to shipping and insurance but as noted you have to go to a hub. For me that's 35 miles vs 3.5 miles for the post office. Or, if you can, have them pick up at your place of employment. I probably need to set that up.

I have my FFL ship handguns as he does it for $20 fee + $15 to ship, as he can do it via Priority Mail. Us average people have to use UPS or FedEx overnight at $65 or more.

I just shipped a rifle and a handgun, UPS for the handgun, USPS for the rifle, both to myself, in another state, prior to my hunt.
The laws don't have a time limit on when that hunt must take place.
Perfectly legal.

"I have my FFL ship handguns as he does it for $20 fee + $15 to ship, as he can do it via Priority Mail. Us average people have to use UPS or FedEx overnight at $65 or more."

that's the rub when doing it yourself.

Shipping a SOLD TO firearm, to A NON-RESIDENT OF YOUR STATE... a long gun across state lines must go to an FFL. Also a non-resident of your state, who may live 1-mile from you but must cross a state line can not come over to pick it up ....you gotta go thru the FFL in his state or I break-a your nose...!

A NON-FFL CAN NOT SHIP A HAND GUN VIA USPS.

A NON-FFL CAN SHIP A HANDGUN via UPS and IT DOES NOT have to go over nite.... ya just have to know the law....and this info has been available for years ...............I stumbled into his info more than a yr ago....IT IS SO SIMPLE ITS ALMOST LAFFABLE....

Since I am trimming my collection -of 40 yrs- this info has become invaluable!

If anyone lives in Michigan...YOU KNOW THIS OR SHOULD KNOW THIS .............

I will ONLY PM the link to this info...and after you get this info you'll think: KRAP, I SHOULDA KNOWN THIS!

Michael,

Please post your link.

Here's a C&P from UPS regarding shipping handguns.

Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921,will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air Services, specifically, UPS Next Day Air® Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, and UPS Next Day Air Saver®. (Note: UPS Express CriticalSM Service is not available for firearms).

Looks like as far as UPS is concerned, it has to go overnite.

I'd like to see how you've been getting UPS to bend their rule.