• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

How to Ship a Rifle in 2021?

Box'em In Plain Box And Drop Them Off At The Post Office..I Shipped 30 Or So Last Year.And 20 Or So This Year And No Problems So Far..

Ups or fedex ground is easy. Put whatever paperwork you want the buyer /FFL to have in the box. You don't need to show ups/Fedex the FFL paperwork and it's not up to them to verify the address is a FFL, that's on you. Communicate with the FFL if you want to verify if they are the FFL that you are shipping to. I just sold a rifle to a guy in another state and I talked to the FFL to let them know it was coming and once I shipped it, I sent the tracking info to the buyer. Pretty easy stuff.
This^^^ I find Fed Ex easiest / no questions. If you go to one of the office supply stores they sometimes have discount coupons. I shipped insured @ $825 from TX to AZ last week for $39 after 20% store coupon.

Ups is easiest for me (local hub not store) I shipped 2 from OK to GA a few weeks ago it was $40ish.

Ok guys and gals... I've sold a rifle to someone in another state and need to ship it.

I don't care whether I ship it via UPS, FedEx or USPS but want to know which is the cheapest and which is the least hassle.

I found this on the UPS website.

And here's what I just found on the FedEx website.

And here's the USPS website page.

After looking at all three websites it appears that UPS is the easiest and I've shipped some ammo at my local UPS Transfer Facility and the counter help there is savvy and they don't seem offended by shipping ammo.

What is y'alls experience and recommendations please?

OH... And one more thing. Should I have a copy of the FFL license in hand to show the shipper? Do they have some way to verify the address is in fact an FFL licensee?
I use Fedex.

USPS sucks, and UPS isn't far behind.

Pack it properly and Fedex will get it where it's going relatively quickly and in good condition.

Ok guys and gals... I've sold a rifle to someone in another state and need to ship it.

I don't care whether I ship it via UPS, FedEx or USPS but want to know which is the cheapest and which is the least hassle.

I found this on the UPS website.

And here's what I just found on the FedEx website.

And here's the USPS website page.

After looking at all three websites it appears that UPS is the easiest and I've shipped some ammo at my local UPS Transfer Facility and the counter help there is savvy and they don't seem offended by shipping ammo.

What is y'alls experience and recommendations please?

OH... And one more thing. Should I have a copy of the FFL license in hand to show the shipper? Do they have some way to verify the address is in fact an FFL licensee?
My first priority in shipping isnt the cost. Its the reliability and quality of the service. If I based my purchases on the cheapest price over quality most of my possessions would be junk.

I seldom ship. I've always used UPS in the past, but the last time I shipped a rifle to the manufacturer for a re-barrel job, a little over a year ago, I went to FedEx. No line of customers and I saved a few dollars in comparison with the UPS fee.

I've mostly used USPS. I shipped the bolt out of a rem 700 rifle, only the bolt - not an ffl item at all, via fedex to a gunsmith out of state. The local Fedex office refused to deliver it as it could be a "firearm" After a weeks worth of calls to customer service I convinced them to return it to me. Then the local driver finally delivered it to the smith. I will never use Fedex for any firearm related shipment.

USPS is the cheapest bar none!!!!!!! Box it up, walk up to the counter with a shipping label on it and your in and out depending on the line in about 3min. I mailed out at least 9 rifles last year and 1 this year. UPS prices are nuts along with Fedex, alot of UPS store won't ship any gun parts or scopes.
Most gun stores ship USPS. Check with them and see if that's not correct.

If you're smart about the packaging (and potentially a little lucky) shipping a rifle can fit into one of the sizes of UPS Simple Rate. You'd most likely end up in the XL size (1,051-1,728 in3) putting the cost at $22.85 + insurance.

From my experience, of shipping any packages, FedEx and USPS can't come close to that number. With the UPS Simple Rate, you use your own box, and it is dimensionally measured. If it fits in one of the five categories (essentially doesn't measure over 1,728in3) then it ships at a flat rate + insurance.

If you're smart about the packaging (and potentially a little lucky) shipping a rifle can fit into one of the sizes of UPS Simple Rate. You'd most likely end up in the XL size (1,051-1,728 in3) putting the cost at $22.85 + insurance.

From my experience, of shipping any packages, FedEx and USPS can't come close to that number. With the UPS Simple Rate, you use your own box, and it is dimensionally measured. If it fits in one of the five categories (essentially doesn't measure over 1,728in3) then it ships at a flat rate + insurance.
I have never had a U S Post Office ask what is in the box. I had a FedEx employee refuse to ship a box simply because it said "Savage" on it. It was not a rifle, only some parts. Their personal attitude has a lot to do with it.

I have never had a U S Post Office ask what is in the box. I had a FedEx employee refuse to ship a box simply because it said "Savage" on it. It was not a rifle, only some parts. Their personal attitude has a lot to do with it.

Fully understandable! Unfortunately, it seems that there are issues across each of them, pending where you are.

I tried to ship a plastic M700 stock to a fellow who needed one in a pinch many years back and a local USPS wouldn't even touch it because it looked (based on length of box I'm guessing) like a rifle. I never said what was in the box, they simply came to a conclusion and refused me service. I explained to them that I was not shipping anything illegal and that my acknowledgment of that in the shipping process, where you have to hit the button on their key pad, would further be my word. They politely asked me to leave the store and wouldn't speak another word to me. All of this despite the fact that even shipping a rifle would be legal through USPS.

My local UPS hub on the other hand is a bunch of older gentleman who genuinely just like to talk for the few minutes when you are with them checking out. I've never had a single problem with shipping through them. They've come to conclusion on what is in packages before (e.g. when I've shipped a box of brass or lead bullets before), but they don't poke much further than "is anything illegal inside?". They've even helped me ship things like ammo before without any issues, which I've heard raises high waters at other hubs.

Last edited: