• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

How Do You Ship Ammunition

17Fireball

USPS site says no to shipping ammo. Fed ex is too confusing to understand but seems not to want ammo too. How do you ship ammuniiton to someone in 2021.

Thanks,

Mike

Use UPS ground, but go through a hub (the ones with no hours and horrible customer service) as opposed to a UPS store. Notify them that you are shipping ammo and if they know what they are doing they will slap a label on it. In my experience they don't typically know what they are doing when it comes to shipping firearms or ammunition so you have to hold their hand and guide them through it.

Take this for what it is worth, but no courier is X-raying your packages; it is all about what you tell them.

My local UPS office is only open from 9-10 am. That is customer service! I was in there last week and asked them about shipping ammo out of curiousity. They gave me some black/white diamond shaped stickers and said put these on the box and write the word ammunition on the sticker.

Don't go to a UPS store. They hassled me about shipping a scope on Monday. Luckily they don't know what they're looking at. My fault for not having it double boxed when I got there. I insured it and they wanted to see it.
I have had good luck at our UPS hub shipping ammo. I just cut symbol off a mixed fuel box at work, tape it to the box and pack it up. I fill out all the info at the kyosk, declare it as ammo and it prints the label. Was much less of hassle than shipping that scope was at one of they're stores.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/th...ps-new-requirements-2021.260244/#post-2096084

I did this 2 days back. First off call to make sure you are going to the right place. When googled, there was one UPS hub/warehouse (not store) in my area and it was 45 minutes from my house. Wrong place! It was actually UPS freight, where they ship truck loads of stuff. They directed me 20 minutes away to another warehouse. Be prepared to open the box and show them how you have it packaged. My package was a hard plastic lockable shipping container that I had zip ties on, so they said good enough. Very friendly folks.
Not exactly what I'd call a horrible experience.

Not a big deal at all. Print, draw, whatever the diamond sticker. Put it on one side of the box. Ship as normal. Must drop off at UPS hub. UPS stores are NOT part of UPS

You will have to check the UPS website. Last time I shipped in January the lady said they are getting rid of the ORM-D placard requirement and there will be a size limit.

Last edited:
You are wrong.... You must ONLY ship it at a UPS transfer facility which is owned and operated by UPS.

UPS stores are not supposed to let you ship ammunition and most of them are aware of that. Many of them will tell you that you can't ship ammo via UPS at all but you definitely can at a UPS transfer/shipping facility. You know what I mean? The ones where you see a bunch of UPS trucks dispatched from.

You can waste your time driving around or you can listen to my advice and also read the UPS links provided above or on the referenced link for the thread I started.

Im not sure who you are saying is wrong.......I see several responses (including my own) that says to go to the UPS location (not a UPS store to ship ammo).

So I went to the the local UPS store and they won't ship the ammunition and then FedEx won't ship the ammunition and then USPS won't ship the ammunition. The closest hub is 45 minutes away from me.

brcfo_outdoors: Actually, the way I read it, from the second link you provided...you are wrong. That second link states you have to have the black/white diamond on the package when shipping ground. The link also states it can only be shipped from a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account or a UPS Customer Center (or Hub by another name), and it won't be accepted at UPS drop boxes or "The UPS Store".

17Fireball: Don't know why FedEx wouldn't take it, but looks like you'll have to make the drive to a UPS Customer Center(Hub) to ship. If I were you I'd print out the UPS link provided by crcfo_outdoors, especially the second link and take it with you. Make sure everythings packaged tight, and taped up securely. I'd wrap it in some white paper (freezer paper is good, it's what I use for targets with paste on spots) and draw in the black/white diamond on it. Have the printed out link to show in case you need it.