• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

How to Ship a Rifle in 2021?

I know it's overkill but I've found that it is easiest to just deliver the firearm to my local FFL and leave it to them to ship. I have the buyer ship his contact and his FFL info to my local FFL and bingo all done. I pay my FFL's fee as it's my choice to go thru him to do the transfer to simply the transaction. I figure that they have sold thousands of guns over the decades and probably much more knowledgeable than I. Plus my local UPS hub is only open for packages 1630-1730 some business hours huh!
The only problem with this is if the firearm is lost, damaged or stolen no one gets paid(insurance). The short story is: the ffl/shipper doesn't get paid because they don't own the gun; the owner doesn't get paid because they aren't the shipper. Our store has been caught in this with both fed-ex and ups. We try not to ship for private owners.

What about insuring it if it is lost or stolen and if they do sell you insurance can you ever really collect or will they give you the run around or bury in a nightmare of paper work.

Dean
If an FFL ships it for you you are out of luck. The FFL doesn't own the gun and you didn't ship it. Know this from experience.

I would not trust the USPS with anything!!!! They have lost three packages and two MO for me in the last year. Broke a brand new $500.00 pool cue for me in shipment. You lose something with them, you have to wait 60 days before you can file a claim. They must have a bunch of apes handling packages. Go UPS, much safer and cheaper for insurance also.

This^^^ I find Fed Ex easiest / no questions. If you go to one of the office supply stores they sometimes have discount coupons. I shipped insured @ $825 from TX to AZ last week for $39 after 20% store coupon.
I tried to ship a rifle from FedEx and the guy told me that since it was a shotgun there was a $50 surcharge on top of all the other ridiculous fees. It was gonna cost me $225 to ship a shotgun from Oregon to Nebraska. I walked out.

I tried to ship a rifle from FedEx and the guy told me that since it was a shotgun there was a $50 surcharge on top of all the other ridiculous fees. It was gonna cost me $225 to ship a shotgun from Oregon to Nebraska. I walked out.
I would have walked out too. Then down the street to the next place and not said what is in the box.

Recent Posts