How much MOA is needed to reach 1000 yards?

Most scopes have more than 40 MOA internal adjustment so using a 20 MOA sloped base is a pretty safe thing to do.

Theoretically it gives you half the internal adjustment plus 20 MOA of drop from zero and should let you dial in a lot of range.

Don't get too hung up on muzzle velocity and drop. For target shooting, a slower moving, high ballistic coefficient bullet can do very well at long range and won't wear out a barrel as fast.

I havent shot so close in a long time !
I had to check !
300 Rum 230 berger at 3036 ft.per.sec
I need 17.7 moa at my altitude! .
You could try the free Streloc program to get your feet wet!
It's close out to 1200 yrds or so .
I switched to the Shooter app . It's been great out to 3027 yards ..

But it you plan on shooting past 5000 yards it will ask you ...are you really shooting that far ? I about fell out of my chair when I checked that distance !!

Rum Man

I have been a set and forget scope hunter for years.I have had good luck using scopes with BDC type reticles.I would like to try dialing.My main Rifle is a Tikka T3 270WSM.140 grain Berger at 3250 using Magnum Powder.So if I sighted in at 200 yards,what would it take me to reach 1,000
yards?I have been reading about the Tract,Meopta Optima 6 and Leupold VX5 3-15 scopes.I like that I can get a illuminated reticle on the Leopold and Meopta.Any comments or information would be highly appreciated.Thanks ahead,Huntz
Looks like 22.75 MOA will get you there with that bullet and speed.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts