How to tell how much MOA adjustment is left in my scope?

What I'd do is record the zero setting then turn the turret till it stops counting the clicks.

Pretty simple.

When the turret is reset to the zero point, and the rifle is rezeroed you'll know a lot about the scope.

What I'd do is record the zero setting then turn the turret till it stops counting the clicks.

Pretty simple.

When the turret is reset to the zero point, and the rifle is rezeroed you'll know a lot about the scope.
I come up with 62 clicks with a .25 moa per click at 100 yrds scope so thats 15.5 moa of up adjustment. Right?

I come up with 62 clicks with a .25 moa per click at 100 yrds scope so thats 15.5 moa of up adjustment. Right?
My software says that will get me out to about 725 yrds dose that sound right for a 204 ruger shooting 40 gr v-maxs book says 3600fps out of a 26 in barrel and i have a 20 in barrel. 25.6 gr of H4895. dose this sound about right?

My software says that will get me out to about 725 yrds dose that sound right for a 204 ruger shooting 40 gr v-maxs book says 3600fps out of a 26 in barrel and i have a 20 in barrel. 25.6 gr of H4895. dose this sound about right?

Let's see:

62*.25 = 15.5 so that's a good calc.

From Hornady's Ballistic Calculator: Why they don't go beyond 500 yds I don't know.

Ballistics Calculation
Input Variables Firearm typeRifle Sight Height1.5 Bullet Weight (grains)40 Ballistic Coefficient.275 Muzzle Velocity (fps)3600 Temperature60 Barometric Pressure (hg)29.53 Relative Humidity78% Zero Range (yards)100 Wind Speed (mph)0

JBM says 62 Clicks w/100 yd zero and 1.5 line of sight about line of bore will get you on at 725 yds.

Sounds like you're spot on.

Do an accurate determination of line of sight above line of bore.
Then shoot for zero at different distances.
You may have to fudge the velocity or bc a bit to get the calcs to match the drops but it will be good and does away with the need for a chrono.

Good luck and good shootin'

Just because you hear clicking it does not mean you have that elevation. There are a lot of scopes that run out of elevation before they stop clicking. The best way to see how much elevation you have in a scope is to put it on a bore site. The Bore Site has a grid and you can see how much travel it has.

Mike @ CSGW

Just because you hear clicking it does not mean you have that elevation. There are a lot of scopes that run out of elevation before they stop clicking. The best way to see how much elevation you have in a scope is to put it on a bore site. The Bore Site has a grid and you can see how much travel it has.

Mike @ CSGW
Thats interesting
Thanks Zach

I agree with Mike, With a bore site grid you can just dial away and see when your reticle stops moving. All my scope reticles stop moving before I run out of clicks.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.