What is needed to get me to 1000 Yards?

Nate717

Hey there, I am shooting a Rem 700 in .300 Win mag with a Nikon 4-16x42 monarch. If I am calculating right this scope is able to get my 165gr Hornady out to about 800 yards. It is flying at roughly 3100 FPS. If anyone knows if I am right with my calculations and if so what do I need to get this out to 1000 yards? any help would be greatly appreciated!

Your scope has 40 MOA of internal travel. Depending on the base you have, and where your reticle is sitting now, it may be possible. With out crunching numbers, I'm guessing between 20-24 MOA will be needed to get to 1k when zeroed at 200. If your reticle is sitting at dead center in the scope, you have 20 MOA left to go up. You may consider a 20 or 40 moa base from nightforce to gain some extra "up" inside your scope. You will here a lot about the Nightforce and Mark 4 scopes on this site, and part of the reason is for the 100 MOA of travel that they offer. (the other reason is that they are great glass). The bases and rings would be the cheapest route to solve your problem at 1k, in my opinion.

Burris signiture rings with offset inserts would be the cheapest, easiest way to get the most adjustment out of your scope as possible. Use the most offset as possible and still get your scope zero'd at 300.

Your scope has 40 MOA of internal travel. Depending on the base you have, and where your reticle is sitting now, it may be possible. With out crunching numbers, I'm guessing between 20-24 MOA will be needed to get to 1k when zeroed at 200. If your reticle is sitting at dead center in the scope, you have 20 MOA left to go up. You may consider a 20 or 40 moa base from nightforce to gain some extra "up" inside your scope. You will here a lot about the Nightforce and Mark 4 scopes on this site, and part of the reason is for the 100 MOA of travel that they offer. (the other reason is that they are great glass). The bases and rings would be the cheapest route to solve your problem at 1k, in my opinion.

+1. "IF" you are using the GMX/IB/SST with a BC=.447, 5000 FT ELEV, you'll need 23.12 MOA (zeroed @ 200)and 21.30 MOA (zeroed @ 300).

Ed

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts