How much magnification is needed

NF NXS 2.5-10 is my primary hunting scope. Even when I used to carry more magnification, I never used it.

I am a big fan of using "just enough" magnification, since the "more is better" idea has far too many downsides (reticle movement, not spotting impacts, lack of field-of-view, etc)

How much magnification to see the target at range X depends highly on end-users eyesight and the clarity of the scope. For instance, my son shot a target at 966Y with 6X, and I needed 12X to see the same target with the same setup. My eyesight is no longer as good as it used to be, but 15/16X at the upper limit should suffice.
I have to agree with @ FEENIX on this. I used to think nobody needed more than 9 power. Back then I could see my .30 caliber holes on 200 yard targets with the naked eye. Today I use a spotting scope at the range to see where hits are on targets at 100 yards. My scopes have increased to 14 or 16 power at the top end.

Hello all….I wanted to pick some of these big brains on this platform and see how different folks felt about something.
I'm a bow hunter at heart but love to rifle hunt too. Living and doing the majority of my hunting in Virginia typically means a "long shot" is anything over 100yds….seriously.
Within the last 10yrs or so I've gotten bit by the custom rifle bug. I have a few nice ones and am in the process of buying another.
I've also gotten some land that enables me to shoot out to 500yds, maybe a touch further.
I've practiced at that distance but the longest shot I've taken (and made) on an animal is 389yds.
I'm wondering for folks that shoot those distances, 400-600yds, how much magnification do they prefer??
My scopes vary from 2.3-18x56 to 3-21x50.
I use a tripod and ball head mostly and have noticed once I dial it up to the max or close to max, the movement is too pronounced.
I know it's the same amount movement at 10x as 18x, just more magnified at the higher range…but I've found myself settling at about 13-14x to get the best circumstances as far as seeing the target and psychologically feeling steady. This means I'm leaving something on the table…..and I'm wondering if others do the same.
I'm not talking about shooting a mile or even 1200yds….I'm referring to more like 400-600yds.
After experiencing this I can honestly say that a 15 or 16x upper range is all I should buy.
What's everyone's opinion??
I'd say a 4x16 should be plenty. I'm in GA and we have similar conditions distance wise.

For years I used nothing more than fixed 4x or 6x Weavers. In fact I hunted elk with either a 2.5x Weaver or a Lyman peep sight. In those days I had outstanding eyesight and really didn't need more magnification. Several decades and a dozen eye operations later, those days are gone.
I think as a practical matter guys buy too much magnification for a hunting rifle. I understand 20-45x on a LR target gun but about 10-12x is plenty enough on a varmint rifle and the old 3-9x is more than enough on your deer or elk rifle.

Cost might be a factor. A 4.5-14 or 4-16 would be just fine for shooting deers or such. It is possible to spend over $1,500 or more on a scope. I am happy with mid budget, 2nd focal plane scopes having medium duplex reticles for shooting deers & such at my self imposed max range of 400 yards. Should small varmints be targeted at ranges of more than 400 a max power of 20 or more is nice. Aim small - hit small.

Hello all….I wanted to pick some of these big brains on this platform and see how different folks felt about something.
I'm a bow hunter at heart but love to rifle hunt too. Living and doing the majority of my hunting in Virginia typically means a "long shot" is anything over 100yds….seriously.
Within the last 10yrs or so I've gotten bit by the custom rifle bug. I have a few nice ones and am in the process of buying another.
I've also gotten some land that enables me to shoot out to 500yds, maybe a touch further.
I've practiced at that distance but the longest shot I've taken (and made) on an animal is 389yds.
I'm wondering for folks that shoot those distances, 400-600yds, how much magnification do they prefer??
I use a tripod and ball head mostly and have noticed once I dial it up to the max or close to max, the movement is too pronounced.
I know it's the same amount movement at 10x as 18x, just more magnified at the higher range…but I've found myself settling at about 13-14x to get the best circumstances as far as seeing the target and psychologically feeling steady. This means I'm leaving something on the table…..and I'm wondering if others do the same.
I'm not talking about shooting a mile or even 1200yds….I'm referring to more like 400-600yds.
After experiencing this I can honestly say that a 15 or 16x upper range is all I should buy.
You are on the right track my friend for hunting. My experience is from a precision background,
I have the fortune of being able to shoot on my own private range with steel out to 1mile. My bench rifle has the Vortex razor gen 3 with 6-36 on it. I'm only ever using the magnification beyond 20x when trying to hit very tiny targets, zeroing or reading the wind. I'm typically shooting in the 12-15power range with it. My hunting rifle is a custom Mountain rifle that is mounted with the 3-15 vortex razor hd lht scope. I shoot regular out to 1,000+ yards on steel and am comfortable on game at the capability of the rifles maximum range for the load I am shooting. One thing to consider is when shooting at distance, how soon can you get back on target after the shot breaks? At higher magnification this generally takes longer. Your best bet would be to buy the best glass you can afford in a lower magnification range 18max IMO and make the image as crisp as possible. Even a really good 3x9 power scope is capable of repeating 1,000 yard shots all day long.
Happy hunting and shooting

I think 15x will do everything you need, but I've always subscribed to the concept of aim small miss small, and like a little more magnification. Stability is everything. I think using only a tripod with a ball head lacks perfect stability. I've got an RRS tripod and several rifles with arca Swiss rails on them, and while this system is pretty darn good, it's much better if you can incorporate a 2nd point of stability. My pack has a frame sheet in it, standing it straight up produces a pretty good platform for the back of the rifle, under the buttstock. With a tripod up front and pack in the rear it's rock solid. I've also used trekking poles, crossed under the buttstock. Also try shooting prone off the backpack, using a bipod with a light weight rear bag or rolled up jacket at the back of the rifle, etc
I agree with you fully

I have two kinds of higher power scopes with custom turrets; 4 Viper Vortex 4-16 X 44 HS-T and 3 Leopold VX6HD 3-18 X 50. The Vortex are my bang for buck lightweight scope on solid hunting rifles, big game out to ~500, the Leopolds are my spendier "eyeballs" on my custom rifles intended to shoot 500+. I usually start about 8 for glassing and until I "get on 'em". Then dial as high as I can given the time & situation. Most times I get to about 16 before it's a tad fuzzy or shaky off the sticks or light limits me lower; my perception is I get better light at the lower/mid-range settings. So, I chose these scopes for performance, affordability, warranty and customer service and most importantly their 20 oz or so weight on my light custom rifles. I dress a gun safe full of rifles, so I need light weight, good quality but just can't deck 'em all out with Night Force, Swarovski or Zeiss (though I have a couple of Kahles I got in Germany). Bottom line is I personally have been well served with up end of 16-18 power in bang for your buck, lighter weight scopes. While Vortex and Leo, both have great warranty programs, I've never sent one back.

How much magnification to see the target at range X depends highly on end-users eyesight and the clarity of the scope. For instance, my son shot a target at 966Y with 6X, and I needed 12X to see the same target with the same setup. My eyesight is no longer as good as it used to be, but 15/16X at the upper limit should suffice.
Welcome to the club with the eyesight issue. I used to buy rifles with fixed sights and used detachable scope bases and rings so that I could use the iron sights if I either got caught up in a rain storm, had to track a deer through some thick/close areas where a scope was useless or I broke the scope. That's changed over the years, any of the above happens I will either swap out the scope or not hunt at all; iron sights are done for me!!! They used to call it the "golden years", more like the "rusty ages"!!!!

Last edited:
I think 15x will do everything you need, but I've always subscribed to the concept of aim small miss small, and like a little more magnification. Stability is everything. I think using only a tripod with a ball head lacks perfect stability. I've got an RRS tripod and several rifles with arca Swiss rails on them, and while this system is pretty darn good, it's much better if you can incorporate a 2nd point of stability. My pack has a frame sheet in it, standing it straight up produces a pretty good platform for the back of the rifle, under the buttstock. With a tripod up front and pack in the rear it's rock solid. I've also used trekking poles, crossed under the buttstock. Also try shooting prone off the backpack, using a bipod with a light weight rear bag or rolled up jacket at the back of the rifle, etc
Totally on point with all of those comments.
My tripod/ball head is pretty darn steady…I have an Arca plate mounted to each of my rifles as well. But as the distance increases I usually have to brace my trigger side elbow on something solid to get super steady.
I hunt from a couple of Banks blinds frequently and use simple shooting stick to firm up that elbow/arm.
Things sure have advanced since I was a 12 yr old boy (I'm 53 now) wandering through the woods with my Dad's old model 94 Win 30-30.
Thanks for the advice

I prefer the higher magnification scopes (with an illuminated Christmas tree reticle) so I can study the deer's characteristics better. I may lower the power to actually make the shot, but not fiddling with a separate spotting scope to count points, etc. is beneficial to me. Do you need high magnification at your ranges to shoot a deer - no, but it sure is nice having it to study a deer.

1) Higher magnification usually means more weight.
2) More weight usually means the rifle doesn't balance as well for quick "jump" shots where the animal surprises you jumping out of its bed.
3) More weight makes mountain hunting more difficult. If you don't hunt mountains or stalk deer, weight doesn't matter.
4) The higher magnification movement just reminds you of how unsteady you are when using it at lower magnification and how you may not make a good shot at low magnification. Tells you that you need more practice with your shooting technique.
5) High magnification in a variable power scope does not make you a worse shot, but the higher power setting makes spotting followup shots more difficult on shots you probably shouldn't be taking anyway -- just get closer or pass on the shot. Lower magnification setting helps you see where the bullet hit the animal to determine if you screwed up the shot. However, mitigating magnums recoil is more important than magnification for this.
6) Higher magnification scopes usually cost more.

Last edited:

Recent Posts