How much magnification???

buzzgun

Just wondering how much magnification you guys like in a long range scope for, say, deer hunting out to 800 yards???

I need to buy a new scope for a new 7 SAUM and have been looking at the specs on the new Nikon Monarch 3X12.......and, the old Monarch 5.5X16.5......the old models are cheap right now, the 5.5X16.5 can be had for less than $300.....the new 3X12 is about $425. The 3X12 has 60 MOA internal adjustment, while the 5.5X16.5 has 40......new model has side focus, old model has adjustable objective.......if you had to choose one of these, which one would you buy and why??? Any other recommendations in the $400 range???

I'd take the 5.5x16.5 for two reasons.

First I'd rather have the magnification and not need it than the other way around.

Second it costs less, more money for booolets.:)

As for the 5.5x16.5 only having 40 moa of adjustment, wouldn't sweat it, just mount it in a set of Burris Sig. rings. With the inserts you can put in what you need.

The side focus is a nice feature, however when shooting out there a ways you usually have time to adjust either one.

Chris

Last edited:
I have an old model 5.5-16.5 x 44 AO. I like it, but when hunting in temps lower than 25 degrees F the AO is verry sticky. WHen hunting in temps above 80, 16.5 will give you trouble getting through mirrage. I am about to go to the range and try my new burris sig rings to increase my range on my 300 wsm. Max range for it w/ standard rings was only about 850. I would say the biggest drawback to the 16.5 is the internal adjustment. Do not make it a habit to max out your adjustment (it is hard on your scope).

5.5 is pretty high of a power for the low power when hunting in any kind of brush. It is a little hard to aquire targets.

I would lean towards the 3-12, but not by much. good luck, Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.