How much magnification is needed

Bullmark

Hello all….I wanted to pick some of these big brains on this platform and see how different folks felt about something.
I'm a bow hunter at heart but love to rifle hunt too. Living and doing the majority of my hunting in Virginia typically means a "long shot" is anything over 100yds….seriously.
Within the last 10yrs or so I've gotten bit by the custom rifle bug. I have a few nice ones and am in the process of buying another.
I've also gotten some land that enables me to shoot out to 500yds, maybe a touch further.
I've practiced at that distance but the longest shot I've taken (and made) on an animal is 389yds.
I'm wondering for folks that shoot those distances, 400-600yds, how much magnification do they prefer??
My scopes vary from 2.3-18x56 to 3-21x50.
I use a tripod and ball head mostly and have noticed once I dial it up to the max or close to max, the movement is too pronounced.
I know it's the same amount movement at 10x as 18x, just more magnified at the higher range…but I've found myself settling at about 13-14x to get the best circumstances as far as seeing the target and psychologically feeling steady. This means I'm leaving something on the table…..and I'm wondering if others do the same.
I'm not talking about shooting a mile or even 1200yds….I'm referring to more like 400-600yds.
After experiencing this I can honestly say that a 15 or 16x upper range is all I should buy.
What's everyone's opinion??

I think 15x will do everything you need, but I've always subscribed to the concept of aim small miss small, and like a little more magnification. Stability is everything. I think using only a tripod with a ball head lacks perfect stability. I've got an RRS tripod and several rifles with arca Swiss rails on them, and while this system is pretty darn good, it's much better if you can incorporate a 2nd point of stability. My pack has a frame sheet in it, standing it straight up produces a pretty good platform for the back of the rifle, under the buttstock. With a tripod up front and pack in the rear it's rock solid. I've also used trekking poles, crossed under the buttstock. Also try shooting prone off the backpack, using a bipod with a light weight rear bag or rolled up jacket at the back of the rifle, etc

I only use like x10 at 1000y. This is for targets like 10 inches tall and 4 inches wide.

While I also believe in aim small miss small too, hunting isn't a group shooting exercise.

You want to be within a vital zone, and being able to find the target easily, and reap on the benefits of a better situational awareness and increased FOV, is more advantageous in hunting. Same applies in snipering, PRSing, and all the other non target group duties or sports.

1.25x for hunting. (100yards = 1.5x zoom, 200 yards = 2.5x zoom, etc). Helps finding moving critters a lot easier.

2x for target, paper, steel. (100yards = 2x, 200 yards = 4x zoom, etc).

SECOND FOCAL PLANE 🤨😁🤣

Hello all….I wanted to pick some of these big brains on this platform and see how different folks felt about something.
I'm a bow hunter at heart but love to rifle hunt too. Living and doing the majority of my hunting in Virginia typically means a "long shot" is anything over 100yds….seriously.
Within the last 10yrs or so I've gotten bit by the custom rifle bug. I have a few nice ones and am in the process of buying another.
I've also gotten some land that enables me to shoot out to 500yds, maybe a touch further.
I've practiced at that distance but the longest shot I've taken (and made) on an animal is 389yds.
I'm wondering for folks that shoot those distances, 400-600yds, how much magnification do they prefer??
I use a tripod and ball head mostly and have noticed once I dial it up to the max or close to max, the movement is too pronounced.
I know it's the same amount movement at 10x as 18x, just more magnified at the higher range…but I've found myself settling at about 13-14x to get the best circumstances as far as seeing the target and psychologically feeling steady. This means I'm leaving something on the table…..and I'm wondering if others do the same.
I'm not talking about shooting a mile or even 1200yds….I'm referring to more like 400-600yds.
After experiencing this I can honestly say that a 15 or 16x upper range is all I should buy.
How much magnification to see the target at range X depends highly on end-users eyesight and the clarity of the scope. For instance, my son shot a target at 966Y with 6X, and I needed 12X to see the same target with the same setup. My eyesight is no longer as good as it used to be, but 15/16X at the upper limit should suffice.

Lower mag makes spotting impacts doable. I rarely ever turn my scope past 15, and it usually stays lower than that. If I'm checking zero off my belly or something, I'll crank it up to 20-22. That's it

I have scopes up to 24 power but my favorite shot was at 607 yards with a Nikon 3-9.