How much Brass, Bullets, and Powder do you buy?

I go the try to keep on hand16 lbs of reliable powders in my case that 4064 296 748 4350 of some breed. That's just my go tos generally I can get a good load with one of those. As far as billets and primers go I've stock piled a bunch just by catching stuff on sale . The last time I bought primers I was in cabelas and they were half off for 1000 count cci needless to say I was that butt head that bought all they had. That's been almost 10 hrs ago and I still have enough to last another 10 years

I go the try to keep on hand16 lbs of reliable powders in my case that 4064 296 748 4350 of some breed. That's just my go tos generally I can get a good load with one of those. As far as billets and primers go I've stock piled a bunch just by catching stuff on sale . The last time I bought primers I was in cabelas and they were half off for 1000 count cci needless to say I was that butt head that bought all they had. That's been almost 10 hrs ago and I still have enough to last another 10 years
LOL....

When I got my 6.5 x 47 I bought a pound each of RL-15 and RL-17, 1000 cci 450 magnum primers, and 100 pieces of Lapua brass. I usually buy 100 boolits of two different grain weights because I almost always develop a Varmint load and a deer load for each rifle I get. In 3 years and a fair amount of shooting, I've only worn out 50 pieces of the brass. I've since bought 100 more pieces and figure it will outlast the barrel.

Depends on the purpose and barrel life I expect really but normally I'm replacing consumable match barrels with fairly short lives and then I'll get enough powder/brass/bullets/primers to last the life of the tube. That usually amounts to something like 1500 rounds so 8-10lbs of powder and 1500 or 2000 projectiles & primers and 200 or so cases.

For things with substantially higher round counts in their service lives or where I plan on having more ammo on hand than I might otherwise for a match gun (varmint/plinking ammo and such), I'll buy supplies in smaller increments because that's what I have to spare on that sort of thing. But, I'll keep buying as steadily as possible till I lay in 500-1000 rounds of loaded ammo and have enough for a similar amount in the form of supplies/components. That's in addition to the supplies I keep on hand because I don't have any bloody use for them anymore but I keep them in case someday I do.

How much Brass, Bullets, and Powder do you buy for a new build? I'm collecting parts for my next build, a 300 win mag shooting 215gr Berger's. I've usually just bought 1lbs jugs, 100 rd boxes and maybe 100 pieces in the past. Then after I had a proven load, stocked up on what worked. Lately, I've read about folks, buying enough components, to last the life of their barrel. Which route do you take and why? Thanks in advance.

I buy a minimum of 100 cases all same lot per rifle, more depending on planned usage.
Primers by the 1000, I always have federal and CCI as my main "go to" primers along with some Remington.
Odd powders I buy by 1-2 lbs, anything that I shoot much will be 8 lb jugs. You have to retest powders and loads every time you switch lots. I learned that the hard way with a bad lot of RL 22 that got recalled due to being extremely hot.
Bullets 50-100 to do initial tests and then depending on bullet mftr (custom or stock) and how many I am planning to shoot, 500-2000.

While I have historically acquired sufficient components to last the life of the barrel, much improved QC in recents years has me convinced this practice is less critical, at least for my requirements. I tend buy 8 or 10 pound kegs of powder, bullets and primers in bulk; 500c and 1000c respectively. Brass, preferably Lapua or Norma are acquired in 100c, or 200c lots, dependent on application/case life..

I generally keep most of the common rifle & pistol powders on hand... I'm not even going to try to list them but it's a bunch! As a consummate tinkerer, I'm always trying something new so having a variety of powders & primers around serves me well. If I do find a "special" load, I'll buy up as many of the components as I can afford, which usually means a few hundred bullets (at most) and a couple extra pounds of powder. If I had the money I'd probably run out of space buying stuff! Being relatively broke keeps the madness in check!
Cheers,
crkckr

I wont start load development with a component that I dont have enough of to wear out the barrel. Nothing sucks like finding a combo the barrel loves, then running out of powder or bullets and the new lot does not work. So many things effect the tune of a barrel, its best to stack the odds in your favor.

I buy 200 cases for each rifle/barrel I buy first up, then gather more as time/money permits.
I also always have on hand at least 1 8lb jug of my most popular/used powders, and buy 1lb bottles to experiment with.
Each lot of brass stays with that rifle/barrel for the life of the gun/barrel.
Some of my rifles have more than 800 pieces of brass, these are for known cartridges with loooooong barrel life, like the 222 and 6.5x47.

Really, I think it's a personal thing how much brass you choose to keep for each gun.
I have 4 300WM guns, with 8 barrels, each having their own batches of brass, let alone all the loading dies etc, etc.

Cheers.

l guess l shoot 15,000 rds a year. 90% of that being big bore revolver. That takes 15K primers, 15k bullets. Maybe 25 pounds of powder. l like to keep at least 500 rds loaded at all times.. Likely 500pc brass yearly

When Obummer took office I found myself short on supply and replenishment was often difficult. Bought a Walther PPK/S .380 during that period and waited 3 months before I could get ammo or components to shoot it.

Now I have about 15,000 .22's in Short, Long and Mag, 80 pounds of powder of various types and many thousands of rifle and pistol bullets. I could shoot for years without buying more. I doubt I have under 200 cases for anything I shoot, rifle or handgun. Two-three thousand for .223/5.56, would guess 250 to 500 for each of the rest. About 20,000 primers on hand.

Am I done buying? Nope. When I find a good deal more comes home. If I can't use it, my daughters and SIL's can, and in another year or two my grandkids will start shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.