How much Brass, Bullets, and Powder do you buy?

I usually buy enough for the life of the barrel. I don't worry about the same lot of powder. I always pour all of the different powder lots into a large bowl and mix them. (Obviously the same type of powder). That way it doesn't matter what lot they come from.

l guess l was in a kind of Panic Mode myself during the GREAT AMMO FAMINE too.. Being an IHMSA shooter since the 70s when SILHOUETTES began l had never a shortage of ANYTHING before.. ln fact l remember going by the gun shop and picking up as little a hundred primers and boolits at a time... 44 boolits have ALWAYS been expensive.. l became a caster and tried to keep a bucket of scrap lead around.. EPA comes out preaching about lead being so hazardous.... My usual sources began to disappear.. Everyone knows lead is hazardous to your health.. ESP AT HIGH VELOCITY!!.. I really began trying to secure a sufficient supply for casting.. At present l am sitting on enough casting material to pour 120K 44 boolits... l still find myself picking up boolits from the berms when we do a target reset

I usually buy enough for the life of the barrel. I don't worry about the same lot of powder. I always pour all of the different powder lots into a large bowl and mix them. (Obviously the same type of powder). That way it doesn't matter what lot they come from.
Hmm, I'll have to wait until the wife is at work for this. A big salad bowl and a serving spoon would work well.

l guess l was in a kind of Panic Mode myself during the GREAT AMMO FAMINE too.. Being an IHMSA shooter since the 70s when SILHOUETTES began l had never a shortage of ANYTHING before.. ln fact l remember going by the gun shop and picking up as little a hundred primers and boolits at a time... 44 boolits have ALWAYS been expensive.. l became a caster and tried to keep a bucket of scrap lead around.. EPA comes out preaching about lead being so hazardous.... My usual sources began to disappear.. Everyone knows lead is hazardous to your health.. ESP AT HIGH VELOCITY!!.. I really began trying to secure a sufficient supply for casting.. At present l am sitting on enough casting material to pour 120K 44 boolits... l still find myself picking up boolits from the berms when we do a target reset

I got into the casting game too late. I was only able to collect a small amount of wheel weights, before it became impossible to get them, or the old shower floor liners. I sold the weights and abandoned that side project.

One of my greatest sources of lead are range berms. l got friendly with a man who cleaned out an indoor range near Charlotte NC some yrs back before l retired. He sold me his 'sweepings'. Still lots of lead sources around... Good or bad l am a scrounger/salvager at heart... l get satisfaction from turning trash into treasure... As an addicted prairie dog shooter l hoard brass. Virtually all of my 223r brass is range pickup.. l love reclaiming discarded brass, process it into loaded rounds that shoot small groups... l have even considered swaging my own jacketed rifle bullets from spent 22rf cases... That's how Joyce Hornady and Vernon Speer got started... Fred Huntington's RCBS presses were originally designed for swaging jkt bullets..The 'Rock Chuck Bullet Swage' company.

I buy 100 to 200 cases for hunting calibers. Powder is another story. For load development on new powder, 1 to 3 lbs depending on case size and availability.
Once I find a load I am happy with I may purchase 2 or 3 8lb jugs.
Bullets for load development, I purchase 3 boxes of 50 or 2 of 100 round count.
After I have a suitable load I buy 250 to 500 at a time.
For heavy volume shooters the amounts are limited by my budget over the course of a year. Typically 5k to 10k worth.

Hmm, I'll have to wait until the wife is at work for this. A big salad bowl and a serving spoon would work well.

I mix mine as well, using an old enameled pan with high sides. Be careful using your wife's stuff - it may turn blackish, as did my wife's favorite funnel. She hasn't forgiven me. :)

upload_2019-9-28_21-40-29.jpeg

This stuff is nice.

upload_2019-9-28_21-41-25.jpeg

This should last a while. I stalked the ADG website enough to get an order in before it all sold out. Crazy nice brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts