• 2-4

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • 4-6

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • 6+

Votes: 6 12.2%

• Total voters

TheFishBox

The thread on shots before letting your barrel cool got me to thinking how many guys have actually shot a barrel out. I know there are a ton of guys on here that shoot way more than I do but just curious. Also if you could put up what cartridge and approximate round count that would be a plus. Me personally I haven't shot any barrel out but I have a feeling my 270 am will be the first to go.

I've only shot out one barrel. It was a first generation Remington Sendero in 7mmRemMag. 99.8% were reloads and it lasted approximately 1300 rounds. It was a very accurate rifle for most of its life and was still shooting 3/4 MOA but cleaning was tough. The first 7-8 inches felt and sounded like sand paper (fire cracks?) when a patch hit it. The rest of the barrel was smooth. JohnnyK.

The thread on shots before letting your barrel cool got me to thinking how many guys have actually shot a barrel out. I know there are a ton of guys on here that shoot way more than I do but just curious. Also if you could put up what cartridge and approximate round count that would be a plus. Me personally I haven't shot any barrel out but I have a feeling my 270 am will be the first to go.
At least 10.

Define shot out... I have three that have lost inches of throat and stopped shooting altogether... I have also had a couple that look horrible and foul badly but still put up some semblance of a group. If I cut bait and ran like a benchrest guy (they have to though) the number would be over ten...

Define shot out... I have three that have lost inches of throat and stopped shooting altogether... I have also had a couple that look horrible and foul badly but still put up some semblance of a group. If I cut bait and ran like a benchrest guy (they have to though) the number would be over ten...
To me it means it's so damaged it will no longer shoot accurately usually due to throat erosion.

3. .243, .220 swift and 25-06. The 25-06 was done after less then 200 rounds but that was due to a manufacturers defect. Barrel and action did not line up so on the bottom of the barrel the rifling was washed out for 5-6".

.243 I have no idea how many rounds were through it. It killed the first deer for 3 generations of my family and just got tired.

The swift had a long life, just over 3000 rounds. In the end I just didn't have enough bullet length to keep chasing the lands. Was still a 1.5 MOA gun when I decided to change it out.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.