How many elk have you been a part of killing?

How many elk have you been in on killing?

• 0-5

Votes: 50 26.6%
  • 5-10

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • 10-20

Votes: 38 20.2%
  • 20-50

Votes: 40 21.3%
  • 50-100

Votes: 17 9.0%
  • 100-200

Votes: 10 5.3%
  • Over 200

Votes: 5 2.7%

• Total voters
I just got number 13 this year most of my kills have been with the 300 win mag. And most were corloks shot two with a Barnes at 80 yards soup for insides, 190vld shot forward of the shoulder at close range bull was moving through trees drt. This year it was 210vlds. I haveha box of 215's imI'going to start trying. I have shot one with a 6.5-284 at 180 yards 140 vld. Did the job through the lungs. Watched a 310" bull die to a 6.5 creedmoor heart shot elk turned and tipped over. A creedmoor of my cousins shot a big bull this year took three shots two in the lungs one in the head. Only elk I have ever lost was a big mature bull I shoot with a 300 RUM 212eld-x going 3036. Sold the rifle afterwards but it was marginal shot angle and I was just trying to dump the bull that was shot by someone else. Almost a straight at me slightly quartering shot trying to bust a shoulder. Heard the shot hit and he just walked off. Tuff animals been apart of 20-30 more all from 270. 30-06 and 7rm. I believe most people are right it's all about shot placement. But you also need to have good bullets and only choose shots that have enough velocity and ft lbs of energy to get the job done if you do make a missed shot.

Elk and I are not compatible. I've scheduled 3 trips and wound up unable to go due to trips to the hospital. The three disablement's are detached retina happened in August 97. Torn acl mcl in 92 and this year broken ribs and back 2 days before I was supposed to leave for 3rd season in Co. I'm not going to schedule another trip for them in Co that's for sure.
Having had a permit to recover big game with my dogs I can only imagine the issues an elk can cause vs a whitetail or black bear. Ham shots gut shots holes in the neck broken legs etc etc. I'm sure with the size of the bones and tenacity of the animals it's only worse. Then add the distances out west and it must be tough for the guides to watch at times.

Owning horses is a good way to get invited on other peoples hunts as well:)

This is where I screwed up......I learned how to sharpen knives, and bought a big grinder, so I get invited to the meat cutting parties. :rolleyes: Or as JJMoody said,as the Horse. (Although I'm more of a pony when it comes to packing)

I think there is something to the lack of shock and adrenaline rush when killing an animal with a bow vs a rifle..... When in AK moose hunting I helped a couple guys cut up their moose. When shot it was heading towards a river so they continued to shoot, in an effort to drop it. It was shot 5 times, all good vital hits with a 300 win mag at 150 yards and it still covered almost 200 yards. This left me feeling a little nervous about my bow....But when the time came, the moose I shot ran less than 30 yards, and was legs up before I got to full draw for a second shot.....This has also been my experience with Elk....A SHARP broadhead in the lungs is a highly effective kill, and it pains me to see some calling others "Unethical Hunters" just for using a bow.....Both rifles and bows are tools and it is up to each person to use their tools in such a way that results in a clean kill of whatever we are pursuing........

I've been a part of over 50 elk kills. Been hunting them for almost 50 yrs now. Started with a 30-06 with 180's. Most of the elk were killed with a .270 of some sort with 140-150 gr bullets. More recently I've used a 7 MM of assorted flavors and a .300 WM. Bullet placement is king. I can remember 1 lost elk. We were working on a buddies downed elk gutting it. Looked up and had several cows moving down a trail above us. Never saw a flinch, but found some blood. Always wondered what actually happened on that animal.... No snow. Spent some time looking and couldn't find a thing...
I've written before about a friend that now is in his 80's. They used to do a bit of party hunting. He has likely killed in excess of 120 elk and could easily be over 150. His elk rifle was always a .270 with 130 grain partitions. He was an excellent shot and a lot of years would spend 2-3 months hunting elk and helping hunters hunting them.
Bruce

Great stories, all!
A few elk things:
When my wife started hunting with me, she absolutely wigged at how this huge critter can appear like a ghost and disappear just as quickly. That alone for her and the many times I am sure all of you have seen this, is amazing.
Getting older makes me rely more on the young guys with boundless energy. That idea fits right in there with the whole hunting thing where our passing is accepted as the passing of the critter we hunt. If you're young, don't read that.
We went several years without harvesting, when we initially started for elk and had some very tough hunts. I've read that from others. It's the kind of perseverance it takes when you finally show patience, take a great shot and finally harvest, especially if you're alone as I was for my first elk. Gutting an elk alone is pretty much sumo wrestling.
In the end, I believe any elk is good elk.

I think a guy really turns the corner on how easily they perceive it was to kill an elk when they finally realize that they don't have to shoot at every elk on the mountain, I find I hunt for the one shot as much as the animal to shoot anymore.
On Sunday I was a 160 yds from 14 bull elk, but I have a cow tag and there wasn't one there. Watched them for 10 min before sliding back over the hill. Me and my wife happened across a solitary bull, really nice 6x6 while mule deer hunting, he never realized we were 200 hundred yards away and we never disturbed his slumber. Hoping I can find a cow elk with a shot as simple as those. In those situations, cartridge choice is a nonissue, anything will work

I've been elk hunting for 2 years. Muzzleloader cow tags. I've yet to find a cow during season and only bulls. I'll be honest though. I've only hunted 6 days out of those two years. This year only 2 days and one was cut short when my wife spotted a bear.

My wife drew a rifle cow tag last year for a time when we would be mulie hunting. We were trying to get on a buck when I spotted up some elk 1000 yards down the draw. Turned into an elk hunt. We made a plan and snuck our way down the nasty draw. We got to whithin a couple hundred yards of where the elk had been and waited. After several minutes a cow came out. She must have smelled us as she was trotting pretty steadily. My wife was able to get on her with her 30-06 for a across the draw shot at just shy of 400 yards. She was sitting using shooting sticks. First shot heard the thwap. Second and third shot were misses. The cow had worked it's way to the top of the ridge and slightly over where it's body was exposed but it's legs were hardly viable being obstructed by the ridgeline. When the 4th shot rang out it was a bang flop. Typical back end down then front. We celebrated hard. Made our way to her falling over the nasty terrain several times. When we got there she was no where to be found. We looked and looked and couldn't turn her up. This was very hard on my wife and her first big game hunt. We both learned alot that year and still think about the hunt and talk about what we should have done differently. This year my wife was able to harvest a bear and a deer for the first time. I was very glad that it didn't ruin her interest. One of these years I'll be able to really chase them and get on them.

I've killed elk with .270 Win, 30-06, 7 Rem Mag, 300WBY, 45-70, and one with a .44Mag. In my years as a guide in Colorado, I've seen them taken with a 243 up to a 375H&H. The guy with the 243 made a one shot kill on a bull. When he uncased his rifle, it was a pre 64 M70 with a Weaver K4 scope. There was hardly any blue or finish on it at all. He was in his 60's and had shot the rifle since he was 9 years old. He could SHOOT that old Winchester and took his bull at about 90yds. I will not say that the 243 is an elk caliber, this was a special case. I've seen bulls run off like they were missed after being hit with some magnums ( 7mm, 300, 338 ) most fell within 100 to 150yds and required little or no tracking. I've also witnessed bulls fall without a twitch to 25-06 and 270's. My opinion is hit them where it counts and you will receive the joy of packing out your bull, make a marginal hit and lace up your boots cuz your in for a hike to get him. Shoot enough with your chosen rifle to hit a paper plate and don't try to shoot farther than you can hit it under field conditions, no matter how far you can hit at the range. You really had to convince me that you had serious skill if I would let you shoot over 300yds on the ranch I worked for.

I have killed over 30 for my self, guided (paid) a dozen or so and guided (unpaid) way more than I have killed.
243- up to the 338's. Several muzzle loader hunts as well. Lots of archery elk as well. I vastly prefer to archery hunt elk, but don't turn my nose up at a rifle hunt. Shot them from 750 yards to less than 29 inches. ( my arrows are 29 1/4 inches long and my arrow didn't make it off the rest before it hit him)
Elk can be incredibly tough animals, their will to survive is amazing.
For most of my hunting I have always subscribed to tough bullets that can penetrate deep and break bones if needed. There was a time not long ago that I would have argued until I was blue in the face that the trophy bonded bear claws are the best elk bullet ever created and likely ever will be created.... I am currently experimenting with more explosive bullets. Mostly due to getting into longer range capable guns and optics. Jury is still out on that in my experience. Only have a dozen or so elk with thinner jacketed bullets.
Shot placement is everything, it's quite simple really in my mind. If you damage both lungs, that elk will die pretty quick.... I have chased a lot of elk way past any reasonable distance that "were hit right behind the shoulder". In truth you don't really know what happened until you get to gut them and examin the damage. I have whitenessed otherwise normal people completely loose their chit in the face of a screaming bull at close range. They could barely tell you their name let alone reliably relay where the shot went.... I have shot elk where I was calm and collected, I was confident on shot location, range, equipment... only to have it go sideways when I got to examine the internal damage. For this, I subscribe fully to always make the first shot count, but if that elk is still up, it's head is still up, or whatever makes you think there is even a chance it has the ability to get up, keep shooting.
I am all about not pushing a wounded animal, but if the opportunity is there to poke more holes in an elk, I will do it every time. Even if that means additional meat damage, or less than optimal shot placement. After blood is drawn, i get on the elk and stay on them until the job is finished...
The worst losses I have been around were elk that dropped at the shot and the high fives and BS started only for somebody to look back at it and say "what elk is that running away?"...
I am much more relived when a bull takes off running after a shot and slows up in a few yards and gets all wobbly legged then tips over on its nose. Those elk don't seem to get back up very often.

Funny. All the people who have been giving advice on elk cartridges/hunting in other threads aren't here????
Been on several hunts for friends and family and kill a pile of them myself. The last few years with a 260 rem. Shooting 130 grain accubonds or a 6.5x55 shooting 140 grain berger vlds at 2800 fps. The bull I shot this year was the first one I've had to shoot twice with the bergers. After opening him up he was dead from the first shot and didn't know it. But he got his rear end up and his front knees under him so he received a insurance shot. Haven't lost a elk yet, knock on wood.
I've killed elk with 270 win, 300 wsm, 7x61 S&H plus the above mentioned. Seen two lost this year by family from 270 wsm and 300 win.
Merry Christmas to y'all!

How did the 130 Accubond perform at 2800 fps? I shoot that bullet out of a 6.5x47 for deer. Works great. I'll probably never take that gun out for elk but I'm curious how it performs.

I actually haven't ran the 130 over the magneto. The 260 its shot from is my wife's rifle so I'm not to concerned about it because she won't shoot past 250 yards. I did kill a cow with it a few years back (short range ~100) and it performed very well and killed the cow quickly. Good penatration and internal damage. The load is fairly mild to keep recoil to a minimum as my wife is small, like 5' nothing and 105#. Funny thing is I'm 6'2" and 210#. Definitely a odd looking couple. Lol:D

I have been part of somewhere in the 30's, maybe low 40's. Been tagging along with my dad since I was about 8, and hunting since 12 (I'm now 28) and between my sisters, friends, and other family, we have put a few down.

I started with a 30-06 with Hornady 190 BTSP's, and that did a few in. Then I traded that rifle for a heavy barrel .308 and killed a few with that using 168 A-MAX's and 168 NBT's, I have used my Dad's 300 wm with the same Hornady 190's, killed one raghorn with a sharp stick, and have been on hunts where they were killed with everything from .243's to a 45-70. Every time I saw a bullet/arrow go through the lungs or heart, save one this year, there was very little if any tracking.

This year I watched a cow elk soak up a hit from a 147 eld-m at 703 yards, went through the center of the on side lung, and the rear of the far side lung, and she ran over half a mile. Luckily we had fresh snow to track her in. That was actually the first time I had to track an elk very far, and also the first time I was seriously in fear of loosing a big game animal. I was literally sick to my stomach.

I love elk hunting with archery though, however I have not had much luck considering I have been archery hunting for 14 years and only have one down ha ha. I have hit sticks while the arrow was in flight, had them turn away from my arrow at 50 yards, misjudged range and bounced the arrow off their back.....And this year I was able to share that excitement combined with frustration with my wife ha ha. We had 4 bulls that I either called in or came in to the wallow we were on, all either didn't present a shot or stayed just out of range. One bull that would have easily made 330+, but stopped up at 57 yards away. I could have taken the shot, but I was hoping he would keep coming as he was feeding towards us. My wife has a limit of 40 yards with her set up in ideal conditions, preferably under 30....and eventually the wind switched and he winded us, and I watched him run off. I have never seen my wife so shaken up and excited....and frustrated at the same time ha ha. She is certainly hooked, and cannot wait for next year. I feel I have created a monster.....and it is a great feeling ha ha.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.