how hot ?

Eaglet,

I spoke with my friend today, what hew does is fairly simple, he is using a large Co2 bottle with valve and hose connector, he made a connection from the hose to a bore guide. He opens and closes the valve as required to cool then runs a dry patch through.

I think a smaller bottle would be a better idea. Here we get very smaller Co2 bottles for making soda water not sure something adapted from that sort of system would work, it would be small.

ds,
Thanks, I appreciate the info. The dry patch is a good simple idea I had not thought of. Would any one know if CO2 would speed up corrosion?

Eaglet,
The only way that CO2 will speed up corrosion is if you leave water vapor formed due to the rapid temp drop and resulting condensation in the bore after cooling. Hence the dry patch after cooling.
My setup sounds simular to the one ds is talking about, except that mine is on a piece of brass, instead of a bore guide. No need to remove the bolt with mine.
Ill try to post a pic in the morning.

co2coolersmall.jpg

As you can see, its a piece of brass for my 300WM that has been drilled and tapped to attach to the end of a brass fitting that is attached t oa short length of braided steel hose. The other end is comprised of a aluminum block that my 12oz co2 bottle screws into, with a pin to depress the valve in the bottle. I chamber the brass, and screw the bottle into the AL block untill I hear the co2 moving. Remember to invert the bottle so that you are moving liquid co2, not gas co2. Sorry I couldn't do better on the pic, ill get a digital one of these days I swear!

abinok,
The picture is good!
Thanks for the info. I'll try it one of these days to see how it works. Good job!
b69bly.jpg

Before you go pouring water on you're gun, try Isopropyl Alcohol. It gets the barrel wet, and the absorbing alchol brings the heat to the outside of the barrel. It does not cause rust, and it will not warp stocks. Much much much better than water. I use it on all my rifles, blued , stainless, duracoated. There have been no problems at all. The higher precentage the better too.

I just pour it on a rag, and rub the barrel down.

I'll try that! I used the canned air for dusting keyboards, etc. It didn't work too well. I'm interested in anything that will help because in 100F weather with 90% humidity, it doesn't take long to heat a barrel.

I forgot to mention, be generous when you apply the alcohol. You may get you're stock wet but its fine. In the Texas heat it will not take long for it to evaporate. I guarantee you, it will cut you're wait times down by 75%. Of course this will take longer with bull barrels, than sporter weights, but it does work, and work well.

I am in Austin, and shoot in about the same conditions as you. I go through a bottle every 2 range sessions or so. For 99 cents a bottle it's a small price to pay.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.