how hot ?

Jimm

Hey, ya'll,
How hot should a fella let his bbl. get before letting it cool? Specifically a hv7 contour. Does shooting at higher temps speed up fouling?How do you measure / decide that it is too hot? As always all help appreciated, thanks
Jim

They say the rule of thumb is to hold your hand in the area just forward of the chamber. If it's uncomfortable to leave your hand there, you should wait until it is just warm to the touch before continuing. Personally, I try never to let it get that hot, in a hunting situation, it is unlikely. If you happen to be in a big dog town, you should consider rotating your rifles. Some guys dip the barrel in a plastic trash can full of water, and claim no adverse effects. Depends on the intensity of your cartridge, as to how many shots you are able to get off before you should wait. Also depends on the ambient temperature.

But, for load development, or shooting groups or long range hunting, I think something is wrong with an attitude if a person feels the need to shoot so fast as to get his barrel in that condition....but, that's just me.

Good hunting. LB

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="purple">Some guys dip the barrel in a plastic trash can full of water, and claim no adverse effects. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like a darn good idea of you want to do a lot of shooting fast. Then run a dry patch, oil patch thru - or do you just clean out the water with the next shot.

Least anyone think I'm being sarcastic - I think it's better to cool your barrel in water than get it too hot. I raced moto-cross as a kid and there were some rich folks who used to dump a gallon of water on their hot engine after each heat. I kept predicting catastrophic failure, and it never happened.
The gun barrel doesn't come close to the blistering temp of an air cooled 2 stroke.

My BAR 338 WinMag gets really hot when I pop off 4 rounds in 4 seconds. I could dunk it and fire away again.

I picked up a method for cooling barrels from one of the east coast 1K br boys for a while. I used a "personal mister" from walmart that puts out a fine mist of ice water. Place spray tip in chamber, let mist for a minute, then patch dry. It worked very well. Less than a minute to get back to cool to the touch. Then I found myself shooting at a indoor range a lot (gotta love that employees shoot free thing) and they werent real fond of puddles of watter on the floor, so I found another cleaner alternative in CO2. I drilled and tapped a piece of brass to fit a short CO2 hoze I had, then simply screwed my 12OZ CO2 bottle onto it, gave it a quick puff or two, and that was that. Let it warm up for a minute or two, run a dry patch (to clear condensatin) and youre good to go.
Im not so much concerned with cleaning issues arizing from shooting too hot, but reduced barrel life. Dan Lilja did some research on what type of barrel temp it takes to reduce accuracy, and the same for reduced barrel life. I don't recall exact numbers, but i was shocked at how low they were.

Daaaaang !
Now I'm shaking in my boots /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Has no one used a handheld infrared thermometer to document this area? Given all the extremes we go to I find it a bit out of , well , character /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Ok , now that you have caused me to miss sleep for days I have to ask , did I do great damage in one session that I fired about 30 rounds at 100 degrees in about 30 seconds?Just kidding /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif However it was 100 degrees and i fired three shot groups in 30 seconds , then went to the target( drove there in my truck , slow, with the ac running ), then back to the target , and do it all over . About a 7 minute turnaround.Towards the end it was real hot , but you could keep your hand ( if you work with them ) onthe area immediately forward of the chamber.
Jim B.

jimm,
in around 100 degrees my 300 rum gets pretty hot, what is even worst is that I wait and wait and there is no wind, it's just hot; it's just hard to get it to cool down. My 14 years old son said "Dad, let's keep your diesel truck running with the air conditioning on, I'll bet that will help" he was right, it only takes about 7 minutes and the rifle is cool to the touch! I know, I know deisel is getting pretty expensive but it's also true with everything else... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have a friend who uses Co2 and it works well, I guess it is more effective as it cools from the inside out.

I did not want all the hassel so I take a flask of iced water and have cut foam pipe insulation tube the same length as the barrel into sections to fit the flask. The foam absorbes the water and acts as a water jacket around the barrel and seems to cool it quickly and evenly (I do not shoot with it on).

David

I have the same problem, wait, wait, wait &amp; the barrel is still hot.

There is a drinking fountain at my range, so I soak a dish towel and put it over the outside of my barrel and turn it every 10 seconds. This cools it off pretty fast.

I then got tired of that and just run the barrel under the water stream for aobut 10 seconds. That cooled it pretty fast. It's still warm after that and I put it in a gun rack and shoot 3 rounds with another rifle before I go back to it.
This works real well for me. By the time I get back to the first rifle the barrel temp is just right. And no water inside and no need to run patches thru.

Vic

Thanks guys,
All good Ideas . I like the co2 idea What is the tank?paintball gun. The ac in the truck works good as I have done that since reading answers here. Such a dummy I am , I was driving back and forth to mark my shots anyway. I just need to rig some kind of rack to hold it in the best place for the vents to blow on it , Bbl. will go from reallly hot to cool or wherever you want quickly if you put it where the vents blow directly on it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif However I think I would like to have a co2 setup for the days that I not marking targets ,just shooting.
Thanks again , Jim

ds,
As Jimm expressed, the co2 is a good idea and has its own place. Would you please elaborate a little more on this? How does your friend release it into the barrel? Thanks.

Eaglet ,

I think Abinok has a game plan on this co2 deal . Hoping he will weigh in on this as I have been shopping already for co2 bottles and what I need to know is what ?how to get a hose attached to it and I was thinking it would be neat to have a release button/ trigger to let the gas go when in the chamber.

Jim B.

Jimm,
as I was reading your post an idea occured to me. It might just be a good one. Let's see if it works and if it does I'll keep you posted.

Jimm, Eaglet,
I could post a pic of my CO2 setup with a little description if that would help.

abinok,
I thought you'd never ask! I would like that... Hope is not too much work. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts