How do you I set up 338 RUM dies for the Edge

We ran into 2 issues when we tried this:

1. The thru hole was not large enough and sized the neck smaller than the bushing did.

2. The bushing is not located in the proper position and doesn't fully size the neck.

People are of course welcome to use what ever thet like but we just were not happy with this setup.

We ran into 2 issues when we tried this:

1. The thru hole was not large enough and sized the neck smaller than the bushing did.

2. The bushing is not located in the proper position and doesn't fully size the neck.

The 1st one should be pretty self apparent if a user runs into that problem.

The 2nd one I understand; Just the opposite of going down in caliber with the neck bushing dies. Trying to go up a caliber will position the neck bushings farther away from the neck/shoulder joint because the length of the shoulder is shorter on the larger caliber case than it is on a smaller caliber case - all other case dimensions and angles being equal. This is the same reason I have to back off the neck bushing depth adjustment when I use the 338 RUM die to neck size my 25 RUM brass. The length of the shoulder run is much greater on the 25 RUM than the 338 RUM. If I left the neck bushings at the same 338 depth setting for the 25 RUM, the bushing would collapse the shoulder of the 25 RUM cases.

Thanks for clarifying the issue. I agree that 'highridge1' would find that he is unable to adjust the neck bushings down to resize the normal depth of his case necks if he examines his resized casings. Doesn't mean they won't hold a bullet and shoot it down the barrel. But less 338 RUM or Edge case neck will be resized in the 300 RUM neck bushing die than in the 338 RUM or Edge neck bushing die.

My Die is the Redding 300 Ultra Type S bushing Dies, with a 365 bushing. The rifle has shot outstanding groups, If it doesn't work properly I have not seen any problems. A friend of mine had the rifle built and purchased the die and bushing. I asked him if any work had been done to the die and he said no just bought new and put in the 365 bushing. I traded him out of the whole package. And have read alot of info posted here and was concerned,but there appears to be no issues.It has about 200 rnds fired with 300 gr sierra match kings.

Your 300 RUM die evidently isn't constricting the 338 RUM/Edge case necks, described in Problem #1 in Shawn's post.

You will not be able to adjust the neck bushing down to resize as much of the 338 case necks with the neck bushing in that Redding 300 RUM die as you would be able to with the same neck bushing in a Redding 338 RUM. This is the issue that Shawn described as Problem #2. You should be able to see where the neck bushing sizing stops on the case neck forward of the case neck/shoulder junction.

If doesn't mean you can't use the die as your doing, or that shells loaded with that 300 RUM die won't shoot fine. If the rifle shoots perfectly well with shells loaded with that die, then no harm done.

I'm just saying that you will not be able to resize the case necks as close to the neck/shoulder junction with the 300 RUM die as would be possible with Redding's 338 RUM dies.

Thanks for the input I am going to look more into how close it's resizing the case neck to the shoulder. I appreciate the input. The rifle is extremely accurate shooting the 300 gr matchkings into ragged 1 hole groups at 200.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.