How do you start working up a load?

How do you Start working up a load?

• Pick a random overall length and then shoot different charge weights until you find tightest group

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • Berger method testing 4 different ogive lengths 010, 050, 090, 130 etc

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • 10 round satterlee velocity node test and then play from there

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • OCW test (similar to option 1 but looking for where bullets are impacting)

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Ladder testing at distance to find node

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • other? State in comments below

Votes: 8 13.8%

• Total voters
I said it was my opinion on distances used. never said I was right. This is my take on it, if I am set up to shoot 500, and I am shooting well along with monitoring conditions, which would most likely be good for this, I will end up taking less shots. The 1-2" spread at 100 will now be 6-12" at 500, and I can walk on by that charge and pull the bullets.
I watch guys do this all the time, there is a tendency to call pulled shots when they weren't, and they will try fill in the blanks with a load that was never going to fly.
That's a good point.

ES/SD
Satterlee
Node
Wheeler method
OCW test
Ladder test
And probably there is whole bunch of them more...
Would anyone care to elaborate on some of these. I follow the forum and reload for a while now.
I usually load book recommended seating depth or a bit more as magazine allows and load x4 shots in increments of .5gr in particular powder. Once I get my "desired" group I work around that with .2 or .3 increments in powder and tweak a seating depth a bit if needed.
I am not familiar with most of the terms that you guys are using and it would be greatly appreciated if there is someone that would explain the process for'em.
Thanks 😊

Satterlee and ladder combined at 300 yards minimum. I use a go-pro to record bullet strikes in order. Then record powder weight, velocity and order in which fired (1, 2, 3 etc...) on targets and look for correlation of velocities vs vertical dispersions.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.