Best die set-up for 338 Edge

It's not cheap, but I'd get mine from Shawn Carlock. I use his bushing die and it works great. I've also used a custom Lee Collet die, but you still need a FL die to push the shoulder back occasionally.

AJ

I also got mine from shawn carlock. The dies are made just for this case, and they work great. His phone number is 208-687-2659

This may sounds odd, but I am using the standard 338 RUM FL and seater dies and are working flawlessly. My chamber is cut VERY snug so my brass doesnt expand but a couple thou at the shoulder. When I run the cases into the die to just touch (NOT bump) the shoulder, they come out the exact same size they went in. The only difference is the neck is a .002" smaller. Every now and then I can feel a shoulder "bump" just a hair.

I dont know if they would work for everybody but their working for me.

This may sounds odd, but I am using the standard 338 RUM FL and seater dies and are working flawlessly. My chamber is cut VERY snug so my brass doesnt expand but a couple thou at the shoulder. When I run the cases into the die to just touch (NOT bump) the shoulder, they come out the exact same size they went in. The only difference is the neck is a .002" smaller. Every now and then I can feel a shoulder "bump" just a hair.

I dont know if they would work for everybody but their working for me.

Michael, looking at the drawings for the 338Rum and 300rum (338Edge parent), the shoulder on the 338rum is .001" larger diameter, so your Edge isn't being sized for diameter at the shoulder. The shoulder angle is the same so that isn't an issue.

AJ

Michael, looking at the drawings for the 338Rum and 300rum (338Edge parent), the shoulder on the 338rum is .001" larger diameter, so your Edge isn't being sized for diameter at the shoulder. The shoulder angle is the same so that isn't an issue.

AJ

Hey AJ

Any problem cutting a 338 Edge chamber with a 338 RUM reamer considering what you said above?

Hey AJ

Any problem cutting a 338 Edge chamber with a 338 RUM reamer considering what you said above?

I am not AJ, but I do know that it is a very common practice among several good smiths. Some use a 300 RUM and then run a neck and throat reamer, some use the 338 RUM reamer and go further in and use 300 RUM headspace guages. Some, I am guessing use an actual edge reamer. .001" at the shoulder is nothing to worry about.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.