Setting up Redding Type S FL bushing die--how do you do it?

jmden

Hi guys,

Are there any 'tips' to setting up a Redding Type S FL bushing die other than what comes with the die? I did a couple of searches but couldn't come up with what I was looking for and I'm sure this has been discussed before--sorry!

Specifically, the directions talk about backing the stem off 1/16 turn after contacting the bushing to leave about .003 space for the bushing to self center. At this point do you go ahead and lock down the stem and call it good?

Techniques and tips please! Thanks!

Jon

Sometimes I do as the manual says and give it just a little room to self center.

But most of the times, I back it off and only size a portion of the neck. That way the unsized portion of the cartridge neck centers the round in my chamber. That has worked for me in my rifles, but I'm sure there are exceptions.

Beware, that too little neck tension can be bad, if you keep rounds in a magazine on a heavy recoiling rifle they can move.

I'd say on average, I leave 25% of the neck unsized. I use good brass that is very consistent thickness, I don't know how this would work with poor brass.

I also adjust the FL portion to just bump the shoulder back .001" or .0015", as I don't share reloads across my rifles, they each have their own brass.

I also throw the lock ring that comes with the Redding dies in the trash. I use the Lyman split rings , as they don't mark up the threads and they seem to be pretty straight.

HTH

AJ

Last edited:
Specifically, the directions talk about backing the stem off 1/16 turn after contacting the bushing to leave about .003 space for the bushing to self center. At this point do you go ahead and lock down the stem and call it good?

Jon

Yes, you are done, unless you wish to only size a portion of the neck. Then you can back if off even more. The 1/16 turn is the minimum you want to back it off.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.