How do you drag game out?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by SavageHunter11, Jun 12, 2019 at 3:24 PM.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. SavageHunter11

SavageHunter11 Well-Known Member

This forum is "Long Range Hunting", implying we're a bunch that are willing to take longer shots on game. I'm my experience, it's rare I shoot game closer to the truck than I am and longer shots means longer distances to drag game out. How do you all drag game out? Any clever devices or tricks to make dragging a deer or similar game out of the field? I just use a rope and lots of leg power but I'm getting older and lazier and might buy/build an easier way to get a deer out. What do you all do?

2. coop2564

coop2564 Well-Known Member

I drive to it on 4 wheeler on my deer lease, when hunting public land I use a wheeled cart most of time, until its within say 150 yds then I might drag it.

MWood, Alibiiv, Huggy and 2 others like this.
  3. Tidus56

Tidus56 Well-Known Member

I throw that sucker on my back and walk out like a man! Or I cry a little and call for help lol. Usually I have a buddy with me and we will haul it out in packs or whole if close enough to a trail. Whole meaning gutted not quartered.

260 rem, Sparkey, 18whlsrolin and 4 others like this.
  4. Hunt1NM

Hunt1NM Member

5. SavageHunter11

SavageHunter11 Well-Known Member

I wish SD allowed motor vehicle on public lands but they don't. It's all man power for us if we are stuck to public land like myself.

PCarr likes this.
  6. Hand Skills

Hand Skills Well-Known Member

Really depends on the the geography. Get increasing mileage out of the calf sled as years go by.

7. nmbarta

nmbarta Well-Known Member

I don't pack hide and I don't pack bone, I used to, but got tired of throwing out 30lbs of bone and hide that I just packed two miles.
    I buy good game bags to keep the fly eggs off and spend a little extra time in the field to lighten the load.
    They come out on my back.

8. Rhett Crider

Rhett Crider Well-Known Member

Helicopter w/ rescue basket

MWood, SCSCHNUR, Joe Hooker and 7 others like this.
  9. Tidus56

Tidus56 Well-Known Member

10. Schnyd112

Schnyd112 Well-Known Member

A good knife, strong knees and a well fit backpack. Minimal hair and bone.

tvarden, nmbarta, ENGUNEER and 8 others like this.
  11. Barrelnut

Barrelnut Well-Known Member

Get one of these. A capstanwinch. They work great and can even get you outta the ditch!
    You can pull an elk up a cliff with one. Use 100 yards of low stretch rope and you can get a deer/elk/moose out of anything.
    http://www.capstanropewinch.com/

Flatbow, Okanogan, ericbc7 and 7 others like this.
  12. Hand Skills

Hand Skills Well-Known Member

Indeed, love the Lewis version that bolts onto a chainsaw too! Total GAMEchanger for us!

bigngreen likes this.
  13. dmj

dmj Well-Known Member

Usually am hunting with my son, grandson or brother. Depends on how far from a road we are. Either just quarter it or bone it out. If we get to far we go and get the horses and mules and let them earn their keep.

14. Skidoo

Skidoo Well-Known Member

Debone and throw it in a good pack only way to do it. No use dragging them any farther then you have too