How do you drag game out?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by SavageHunter11, Jun 12, 2019 at 3:24 PM.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Deputy819

Deputy819 Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I fire up an old, beat-up riding lawn mower (that still runs/works great), hitch up a garden-cart to it and away I go. If the deer happens to be in some thick stuff (briars, brush, etc..) I can cut my way to it and have an easy egress route. :D I only hunt the property I live on...

2. tmwtrfwler

tmwtrfwler Well-Known Member

Not to rub it in but we just drive the truck to it....but we are in Virginia so the land we hunt is a bit different. Flip side is the land you guys hunt and variety of game is much better than ours.

aushunter1 likes this.
  3. SavageHunter11

SavageHunter11 Well-Known Member

That is true, I can hunt 8 of the North American big game animals and never leave the state. It does take 20+ years of preference to pull the goat and sheep tags though.

seattleman1969 likes this.
  4. FIGJAM

FIGJAM Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Boned out and on our backs. Elk are usually quartered and loaded on horses.

5. KyCarl

KyCarl Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

We hunt private land so I use my Grizzly in and out. I've had 2 deer 2 Hunters and 2 rifles and it hauled it all with no problem! I pack a few things in the waterproof box
    that are nice..Snacks..Dry socks and gloves..Flares..First aid kit..
    I love it!

6. Zen Archery

Zen Archery Well-Known Member

Quarter. Backpack breaks apart to pack out game. May take 2 trips on an elk but as they say, hard works after the animals down. Deer can usually quarter and pack out in one trip.

73driver likes this.
  7. seattleman1969

seattleman1969 Well-Known Member

When I lived in Texas we would drive up to it and throw the whole animal in the back of the truck...

Now that I live in Montana we quarter if it's not too far or skin, bone and pack if it is. If we are lucky and there is snow on the ground I drag it with cheap kids sleds over the snow...

8. parshal

parshal Well-Known Member

I'm looking for better ways, too.

Last year, three of us broke down a cow elk and carried it out 4.5 miles on our backs. The next day it snowed a few inches and we used a sled to drag another cow out 3.5 miles. That was after breaking it in half and dragging it half a mile down the mountain over sheep fences. Neither of these were easy but I'll carry it on my back before I drag that darned sled again! It took two to pull it and one in the back to keep it from running down the hill.

We are thinking about having horses or llamas lined up. We're getting old. LOL

seattleman1969 likes this.
  9. jepp2

jepp2 New Member

For anything (antelope, deer, elk & moose) I skin and quarter where they hit the ground. Then into game bags and use my Freighter pack. Meat stays cleaner and cools faster and you aren't carrying any excess weight. Here is what a deer looks like after about 45 minutes.
    Field Dressing Western Style.jpg

PCarr, 73driver and seattleman1969 like this.
  10. jdmecomber

jdmecomber Official LRH Sponsor

This was about 3/4 of a mile so it was fine.

Attached Files:

11. joseph singleton

joseph singleton Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Like rubbing salt in a old guy's wound....Enjoy you are Blessed we got SHARKS and GATORS:p

12. Susquatch

Susquatch Well-Known Member

ATVs are just kids toys! Around my home farm I use a Man's tool - a full blown loader tractor. Goes through anything. Self loads the deer in the bucket. Works great to hang and gut them too.

[​IMG]

Up north, I use a deer cart. It has 2 bicycle tires (mountain tires) on an axle and a big hammock strung out on supports, and drag handles. You tilt it down, slide the deer up onto the hammock, strap it down, and pull it out from where ever you are. The bike tires cut through scrub, mud, and even a foot and a half of snow. Any more snow than that, I'd use a sled.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/70182

[​IMG]

I replaced the stock tires with bigger mountain bike tires. Gave more clearance and pulled easier too. Just imagine a giant wheel barrow.

Often thought I should have married Bertha though........

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019 at 9:23 AM
  13. Jeffrey Van Zandt

Jeffrey Van Zandt Well-Known Member

14. Johnny blade

Johnny blade Active Member

Use my 4 legged friends. The ONLY WAY TO DO IT!

Rhett Crider likes this.