How do you guys clean Moly coating out of your barrels?

WildBillG

As the title says I would like to know the best way to clean moly coating from a rifle barrel. By that I mean that black coating used on bullets. I have 2 guns that have shot moly coated bullets and both seem a little behind in the accuracy department. I have been told that the coating effects the accuracy of uncoated bullets is this true?

I had a long conversation with a scientist at Kitt Peak Observatories (near Tucson) many years ago. He said they use moly as a lubricant on some of the telescope parts. Said if it makes contact with clean steel and there is heat and pressure the moly will bond with the steel. He said only physical means would remove it. I would suggest Rem 40X or JB bore paste.

I have used moly for decades with no ill effects but in those bores I no longer use "naked" bullets. I suppose you will get your rifle's accuracy back for uncoated bullets after a thorough cleaning with either product.

I had similar issues going from nosler silvertip bullets back to uncoated and had accuracy issues.

butches bore shine got it out for me.

I have heard that wipe out and bore cleaners with ammonia in them will remove it as well. How do you know if it is being cleaned out your bore though.

I have heard that wipe out and bore cleaners with ammonia in them will remove it as well. How do you know if it is being cleaned out your bore though.

when you no longer see any black on your cleaning patches it's probably gone. You'd have to have a smith run a bore scope through it to be sure.

I got into coating with moly when the rage first started. During that time the most usual response to your question was to use Kroil before and after cleaning. Just keep cleaning your barrel as usual and you will get there. Getting moly totally out of a bore is a process not an event.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.