How close are RL17 and H4350?

All is well brother, I quit my job and started a new business so I've been off the grid for a bit, on top on top of that there were a handful of folks that said I was ruining this forum so I wanted to make sure that I wasn't
?????????Ruining? Since there are many good Christians ✝️ on this site I will temper my response...it's early....no Rum yet! But send me a list and I will do private posts. Missed you Bro.....! I started a new gunshop ..been open 4 weeks...6 days a week! Busy here too....be safe!

I'm currently doing some looking into the best powders for the 338 RCM, and I am seeing a good bit about RL17. Problem is I can't find any right now. Last week I picked up some H4350 just because I know it is pretty versatile, and I see now that it is right next to RL17 on IMR's burn rate chart with H4350 being #124 and RL17 being #125. I'm curious to know if these two powders behave similarly in cartridges like the 338 RCM and if I could work up with H4350 from a start load of RL17. Thanks!

Also I'm all ears for powder suggestions for the 338 RCM. I have H4831SC, Varget, IMR3031, TAC, and the aforementioned H4350 that might make good candidates.

I bought two pounds of 17 at a local gunshop, price was right. The description was deceptive. "All weather conditions" verses temp insensitive. I bought a pound of 4350 two days ago for under 100 bucks.
Kept watching the net. They must of saw you coming. That's over twice to much. It should have been somewhere around $40.00 a # for a single lbs. and under.

I have a related question. On the burn rate charge I have, RL-16 is 123, H4350 is 124, and RL-17 is 125. I understand that RL-16 is very temp stable.

I have 8 lbs of RL-16 and no H4350. How do these 2 compare?
Look at the numerical Burn Rates I just posted 2 or 3 above Post #26

I've shot a lot of RL17 through several calibers, particularly 338 Win Mag. I've gotten best groups and velocity with it. H4350 is 100 fps behind. I don't think RL17 is too temp sensitive as I work up loads in FL and shoot out west or CA. POI is very close. If you shoot above 90 degrees, it's a bit temp sensitive

For years I used RL17 with 140gr bullets in my .260AI's. It gave great velocities and so-so SD/ES. It sucks for temp stability. I was popping primers in the summer heat. I first switched to IMR4451 which improved the temp stability tremendously and somewhat improved the SD/ES. But velocity was down. Now I've completely switched to StaBall 6.5! I picked up 45fps, reduced SD to single digit and it's killing it for temp stability! I really like this powder. The only downside is I have a couple of 6 pounders of RL17 that I'm not sure what I'll load it in.

So, I would be aware of the temp issues with RL17 and maybe check out StaBall or 4451 if they are appropriate for your cartridge.

Bob

?????????Ruining? Since there are many good Christians ✝️ on this site I will temper my response...it's early....no Rum yet! But send me a list and I will do private posts. Missed you Bro.....! I started a new gunshop ..been open 4 weeks...6 days a week! Busy here too....be safe!
That's awesome Brother, Congrats

All is well brother, I quit my job and started a new business so I've been off the grid for a bit, on top on top of that there were a handful of folks that said I was ruining this forum so I wanted to make sure that I wasn't
You musta had an opinion other than their's? I ruin stuff all the time with my opinion. Welcome back! Heh heh 😉

Look at the numerical Burn Rates I just posted 2 or 3 above Post #26
I get the burn rate relationship. RL-16 is close to H4350. I stated that in my post. But burn rate relationship does not mean they behave the same.
What about other practical issues like load density and temp stability?Anyone have experience that compares/contrasts these 2 powders?

As mentioned R17 is a double based powder vs. H4350 being a single based powder. In addition R17 has somewhat unique burn characteristics that control powder burn rate by internal penetration of burn rate control agents vs. only external coatings. Sort of like providing a sustained boost. Powder burn rate charts only provide general info and burn rates may vary from application to application. R17 has somewhat a "bad rap" for accellerated barrel wear due to its unique delayed burn characteristics.

I am sort of a R16 fan, a double base temp. change resistant powder - I get extremely good accuracy and somewhat higher velocities with it compared to H4350 in my .22-.250 rodent rifles. R16 is somewhat less dense, more bulk, than many powders and can give optimum case filling or indicate a faster powder should be used if enough R16 won't fit in the case.

Last edited:
You're a contributor in multiple ways.

Can't make everybody happy. Don't try. Teddy Roosevelt said (very approximately) that there's the man on field of battle, bruised, bloody and gettin' it done, then there's the critics on the sidelines, telling him how to improve. While differences of opinion do exist, my personal opinion is that much of the heat you've taken -without, afaik saying much about it - originates in the Peanut Gallery.

Starting a new business usually is all-encompassing. Stay on it, drop in when you get a chance and know for a FACT that you're missed.

If I were you I would forget TAC it's a bit too fast for what you want,I see some of the guys have put on burn rate chart for you, that's the way to go, then there's no mistakes.