Distance to lands, how close is too close?

njc89

I am loading up some 180 Berger vlds for my 28 nosler and trying to follow Berger's process for finding the best seating depth. So far the best group has been at 0.005 off the lands, which is the longest oal I have loaded. In your opinions, is this too close to the lands for a hunting load? I certainly don't want to get a bullet stuck some day and ruin a hunt. Thanks for the insight

^^^^^^try this. 0.005" is not to close. But I would try to find a very broad node seating range because the 28 nosler throat erosion is fast. Real fast. So if you have a broad range in seating depth length the. You won't have to adjust your COAL as often to chase the lands. Just follow the node as it grows in length.

Just to clarify you tried the following seating depths:
  1. .010 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
  2. .050 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
  3. .090 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
  4. .130 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
and determined that .005" was the best in terms of smallest group size?
I will guarantee you will jump over seating depth nodes at 500 and beyond doing it this way, 100 yards maybe not.

Do you hunt in snowy conditions? In MN this year on a snowy day I got back to my truck and unloading pulled the bullet and dumped the powder! This bullet was .010 off and I believe ice was the culprit. Either snow down a warm gun or wet ammo in a cold gun. I still have some of the ammo and can double check it when I get the rifle back in my shop. Right now it is in my camper in another state. My guess is that it was kissing jam to start with.
I've had bullets pull at my range but never out hunting before.

I am loading up some 180 Berger vlds for my 28 nosler and trying to follow Berger's process for finding the best seating depth. So far the best group has been at 0.005 off the lands, which is the longest oal I have loaded. In your opinions, is this too close to the lands for a hunting load? I certainly don't want to get a bullet stuck some day and ruin a hunt. Thanks for the insight
That's very tight, but if you are hunting from a vehicle its not a huge deal. You can easily go to camp and clean up the gun. I would be more concerned about throat erosion and finding a range of jump distance to keep from changing the load often.

Stuck is too close. Which I have had happen on a hunt. So No more do I try to get really close. I get as far as I can and still group really well. I've completely quite worrying about milking very speed drop, and worry about bomb proofing my loads in sweet nodes away from things that make a gun go opps.

Yep..the weather I finished hunting in this year was not great...rains..sprinkles...snow..freezing...thawing...slush..snow...brush..
and reprod.....nasty....
Cleaned the barrel four days in a row....no way to keep water of any kind out.....
Then made a 400yd shot across canyon....concerned...yes...but I did all I could do to keep least amount of moisture from getting in barrel....
Hate to think of the mess should a bullet had pulled.....

Ta
Yep..the weather I finished hunting in this year was not great...rains..sprinkles...snow..freezing...thawing...slush..snow...brush..
and reprod.....nasty....
Cleaned the barrel four days in a row....no way to keep water of any kind out.....
Then made a 400yd shot across canyon....concerned...yes...but I did all I could do to keep least amount of moisture from getting in barrel....
Hate to think of the mess should a bullet had pulled...
and reprod.....nasty....
Hate to think of the mess should a bullet had pulled.....
I tape the muzzle with painters tape to keep junk and snow out, then remove it at home, dry patch the barrel and let thoroughly dry

Was staying in motel....pack in and out every morning and evening...the rifle isn't the only thing soaked when I'm finished for the day.....
Plenty of time for elements to get thru the action.....tape on barrel...doesnt stay put....
But good advice to spread...

If you need to put your weight down on the bolt handle to close the action…may be too close

If you don't end up firing, and upon extraction the bullet is visibly marked by rifling…may be too close

If attempts to extract an unfired round require hitting the bolt handle and result in powder all over the place and a remaining bore obstruction…just a chance that you overdid things 🤣