7mm-08 Rem with H4350 or RL17?

J E Custom, all.

I picked up some of the staball6.5 on a whim (caught up in the marketing hype I guess). I was just mostly going to the range to get ready for hunting but threw a few loads with it together for the 7-08 with a 120 gr. BT. This is the best load with it thus far. I didn't have a time to Chrono it today, but this is 52 grains under that 120 ( the #4 set).

Attachments

• PXL_20200915_230457560.jpg
    PXL_20200915_230457560.jpg
    647.8 KB · Views: 135
I'll have to go back and look, but, I think Varget was mid to upper 2700s in mine with 140s. I picked up about 100fps going to BG powder.

Wonder what I was doing wrong with the Varget and 140s.

Don't think it's you. it could be many reasons, barrel type, twist, grove count, primer, Amount of powder.(These were Max loads) Freebore ----

Going for accuracy, I sometimes go to max and back off unless accuracy is best. I was surprised at the velocity difference in the 120 and the 140 and the reason I chose the 120's.

J E CUSTOM

Don't think it's you. it could be many reasons, barrel type, twist, grove count, primer, Amount of powder.(These were Max loads) Freebore ----

Going for accuracy, I sometimes go to max and back off unless accuracy is best. I was surprised at the velocity difference in the 120 and the 140 and the reason I chose the 120's.

J E CUSTOM

I shot 3 bucks a couple of years ago with the 120 NBTs in my 7-08. That was the first deer I killed with that rifle. I was very impressed with those bullets. I didn't try to go over 3000fps with them. I'm taking this rifle on my next elk hunting trip. That's why I developed a load with the 140 grain Partitions for it.

I shot 3 bucks a couple of years ago with the 120 NBTs in my 7-08. That was the first deer I killed with that rifle. I was very impressed with those bullets. I didn't try to go over 3000fps with them. I'm taking this rifle on my next elk hunting trip. That's why I developed a load with the 140 grain Partitions for it.
The 120 nbt, is awesome in my Bergara. Nosler redesigned it awhile back, toughened it up, to accommodate silhouette shooters. I've nearly settled on it as my go bullet for now. Mine really shoots well, with cfe223. Nearly 3100 with that powder.

Just pulled my file, with 120 bullet, I'm at 3008, and with 140, very accurate at 2848.

Very nice. What barrel length are you using? What do you think I should be getting with my factory 20" barrel(generally speaking)?

The 120 nbt, is awesome in my Bergara. Nosler redesigned it awhile back, toughened it up, to accommodate silhouette shooters. I've nearly settled on it as my go bullet for now. Mine really shoots well, with cfe223. Nearly 3100 with that powder.

I was around when they changed the jacket on the 120 Ballistic tip Because the original one had a thinner jacket for Varmint hunting. The Pelt hunters also complained about the explosive nature of the 120 Ballistic tip so when Nosler said they fixed it, As usual, I had to test it. I made a epoxy casting with a 120 and a 140 B Tip and machined half the bullets away. The jacket was .010 thousandths thicker on the 120 than the 140, so I found that at the increase in velocity, the heavier jacket actually performed better on deer size game and have sense, never gone back to the 140. I will use 140 and 150 in faster cartridges for there impact velocity and they perform very well.

As you have experienced, I have had the same results and it is the only bullet i will use for the 7/08 for deer and hogs.

J E CUSTOM

I was around when they changed the jacket on the 120 Ballistic tip Because the original one had a thinner jacket for Varmint hunting. The Pelt hunters also complained about the explosive nature of the 120 Ballistic tip so when Nosler said they fixed it, As usual, I had to test it. I made a epoxy casting with a 120 and a 140 B Tip and machined half the bullets away. The jacket was .010 thousandths thicker on the 120 than the 140, so I found that at the increase in velocity, the heavier jacket actually performed better on deer size game and have sense, never gone back to the 140. I will use 140 and 150 in faster cartridges for there impact velocity and they perform very well.

As you have experienced, I have had the same results and it is the only bullet i will use for the 7/08 for deer and hogs.

J E CUSTOM

Reading all the great results with 7mm 120 grain NBTs on forums like this, really convinced me to try them. I'm very glad I did.

Reading all the great results with 7mm 120 grain NBTs on forums like this, really convinced me to try them. I'm very glad I did.

Everyone on this site tends to want to shoot heavier bullets including Me, But sometimes the lighter bullet out perform the heavies at some game and distances. I discovered the 120's performance on deer and recommended trying them to everyone in my family. (There are at least 9 7/08's in my family alone and many more friends that I have built 7/08's for. And after I convince them just to try them. They have trouble believing the difference. Even though many of my friends up north admit that tracking deer in the snow is easy they all say why track if you don't have to because they find the deer where they shot them or within a few feet. 👍

J E CUSTOM

Everyone on this site tends to want to shoot heavier bullets including Me, But sometimes the lighter bullet out perform the heavies at some game and distances. I discovered the 120's performance on deer and recommended trying them to everyone in my family. (There are at least 9 7/08's in my family alone and many more friends that I have built 7/08's for. And after I convince them just to try them. They have trouble believing the difference. Even though many of my friends up north admit that tracking deer in the snow is easy they all say why track if you don't have to because they find the deer where they shot them or within a few feet. 👍

J E CUSTOM
I am in the same boat as you on the heavies, but the 120 nbt, is very impressive, and I was told that when I first got the 7-08, try it, you'll like it, well, I did, and do. She will shoot the heavies, but for most of my purposes , it just plain works, and it just plain shoots. Doubles as a varmint bullet. Foxes a!nd groundhogs do NOT like them at all

J E CUSTOM

I am in the same boat as you on the heavies, but the 120 nbt, is very impressive, and I was told that when I first got the 7-08, try it, you'll like it, well, I did, and do. She will shoot the heavies, but for most of my purposes , it just plain works, and it just plain shoots. Doubles as a varmint bullet. Foxes a!nd groundhogs do NOT like them at all

Growing up in Mexico we only had Sierra Gamekings and Nosler Partitions available. 160gr Partitions worked better than the 140gr version and all Sierra's on the big desert mulies. Gamekings were better for coues, partitions some times penciled through.

Here in the US the options are endless and found out that heavier bullets aren't always needed or better.

For coues, mulies and Javelina 120gr, 139gr and 140gr bullets are more than enough and you dont have to shoot the shoulder and lose a ton of meat. The SST's and Ballistic Tips pretty much handle everything I hunt and then some.

For elk I do believe a heavier is best unless you are using a bonded bullet.

Growing up in Mexico we only had Sierra Gamekings and Nosler Partitions available. 160gr Partitions worked better than the 140gr version and all Sierra's on the big desert mulies. Gamekings were better for coues, partitions some times penciled through.

Here in the US the options are endless and found out that heavier bullets aren't always needed or better.

For coues, mulies and Javelina 120gr, 139gr and 140gr bullets are more than enough and you dont have to shoot the shoulder and lose a ton of meat. The SST's and Ballistic Tips pretty much handle everything I hunt and then some.

For elk I do believe a heavier is best unless you are using a bonded bullet.

I do agree that the heavies are needed for wider, heavier game animals, no doubt. For thin skinned whitetail, varmints, etc, I feel like the 120 by is about perfect. Originally, I too, wanted to shoot the heavies, and it will! But whitetail can't take 120's home with them.🦌😁

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.