Distance to lands, how close is too close?

We ALWAYS start load work-up at .020in. off light jam (OAL), then work outward in 5-shot groups .010in. at a time until we reach .090in. We look at best group, then fine-tune around that node! Crimp is usually .0025-.0030in.

Or super lucky. If you are shooting off hand, no need for sub MOA rifle. No one can shoot a sub MOA 5 shot group at any distance off hand. Unless of course you are wearing those Olympic jackets with rifle stabilization which I don't consider off hand.
actually, I prefer the most accurate rifle I can get shooting offhand. I don't care as much about a really sleek profile like a heavy berger because I will never pass 1/2 mile or so. and good spitzer driven fast enough is good enough for shots to 600 or so; I prefer a bit better though as you can start to see even a 300win poop out a bit past 600 with a standard spitzer flat base. I found one of the pills I drove through the mule deer at 642 and she didn't open nearly as well as a couple I've found from closer hits.

usually from sitting, or from a knee... I don't hunt from one point like some of you all, so I don't deploy a bipod or use bags. Three years ago my sons were with my when I used my 300 win on a mule deer doe. My eldest son and I hit 2 for 3 at 642 yards according to the Kilo 2000 (my son shot once and I twice). The year before last I shot my mule deer at 500 yards in strong wind from sitting. The next weekend my 18 year old son shot his mule deer at 405 yards from sitting. Both were ranged shots.
Just because you can't hit from any offhand position doesn't mean others can't either.
Ah ok, that makes total sense the way you describe "off hand". I call it supported position shooting. I imagined you standing and shooting the wobble to 800yds! 😂

The liar pants on fire was tongue in cheek, Hope you know that. You sound like an extremely capable hunting machine! 😎

Go on youtube and watch Erik Cortina's videos for load development and finding jam(gonna take you a few hrs). I work off jam instead of the lands but that's a different subject all together.

+1 for the broad node.
Yes, great explanation!!
Forget distance to lands, jam measurement - 20 thousands. Then change .003" increments till good. Loved his video, very informative!!

Yes, great explanation!!
Forget distance to lands, jam measurement - 20 thousands. Then change .003" increments till good. Loved his video, very informative!!
Yeah, it's a great vid, for but for my hunting rounds I want off the lands a bit. I found jam using Erik's instructions, but I was still getting land marks on the bullet when chambering.

Just to clarify you tried the following seating depths:
  1. .010 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
  2. .050 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
  3. .090 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
  4. .130 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
and determined that .005" was the best in terms of smallest group size?
I'm kinda new to the site, but I have never asked anyone doing the ladder test. I assume y'all load one round at a time because most magazine boxes will not accept rounds this long, am I right?
I know it's a stupid question but I don't like to assume.

I'm kinda new to the site, but I have never asked anyone doing the ladder test. I assume y'all load one round at a time because most magazine boxes will not accept rounds this long, am I right?
You are tracking correctly. Hunting gun, load to mag length and tweak powder. Range gun, single feed the rounds to long for magazine. Now, there are guys that probably single feed a hunting gun, but I don't.

You are tracking correctly. Hunting gun, load to mag length and tweak powder. Range gun, single feed the rounds to long for magazine. Now, there are guys that probably single feed a hunting gun, but I don't.
Depend's on the rifle and cartridge. my 243 is able to mag feed and be in the lands.

Most newer factory Remington RUMS are chambered so that mag length loads are 3-400 thou off.

I'm kinda new to the site, but I have never asked anyone doing the ladder test.
It's not a ladder test. It's a full seating test.
A ladder test is for powder development.
A seating test is for finding best bullet-bore interface, and should be considered prerequisite to powder development (like brass fire forming, and primer swapping).

Yep..the weather I finished hunting in this year was not great...rains..sprinkles...snow..freezing...thawing...slush..snow...brush..
and reprod.....nasty....
Cleaned the barrel four days in a row....no way to keep water of any kind out.....
Then made a 400yd shot across canyon....concerned...yes...but I did all I could do to keep least amount of moisture from getting in barrel....
Hate to think of the mess should a bullet had pulled.....
Ever use electrical tape on the barrel end to keep out the water and mud? Tested by me not to change point of impact. Unless you are running a braked gun and then go with a condom they'll stretch over anything 😲